Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2014 05:00

Cannot Install Windows Server on Dell T420

I have a Dell server and it was running as an EXSi server. I am in the process of reassigning it to be a HyoerV server. 

Unfortunately, I was unable to install HyperV or Windows servers. I have tried Windows HyperV 2008, Win Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012.

The error "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing".

I have downloaded and burned multiple copies of the Installation CD from the MS website and can confirm it is not the CD.

I have upgraded the BIOS. I have not been able to update the firmaware as I havent figured it out.

I have seen similar problems on other threads but there solution was around the actual cd/dvd.

Any ideas on what is causing this issue?

• 

8.8K Posts

July 17th, 2014 08:00

Solo.Rider,

Likely the issue is due to the Raid controller driver not being present. If you let me know which you have installed I will get you the proper driver.

Also, if you are using burned media then verify the speed in which it was burned. You will want to burn the media at the slowest speed you can.

Let me know.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 17th, 2014 10:00

Make sure that the SATA controller is set to legacy/ATA and not RAID or AHCI.  Which RAID controller are you using?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 17th, 2014 11:00

I'm not Chris.

You aren't "updating" the driver.  You are loading the driver.  Windows doesn't know what the S110 is or how to talk to it, so it can't continue with the install (DVD drive is attached to onboard SATA) and won't be able to see disks configured on that controller without the driver.

Once you extract the files, put them on a USB flash drive (easiest) and when prompted for the CD/DVD driver, Browse to the location of the files on USB to load them.

3 Posts

Hi Chris,

thanks for your reply.

Service Tag: [removed per privacy policy]

BIOS: Version 2.1.3

Embedded SATA changed from RAID to ATA mode as you suggested.

iDRAC settings version 1.55.55.05
iDRAC Firmware version 1.35.35

DEL PERC S110.

What is the easiest way for me to update the RAID drivers? I have been looking at options but it doesn't look so obvious.

3 Posts

Hi Chris,

I dont fully understand what you are saying.

I downloaded and extracted the drivers from the above link. How do I update it?

I used the lifestyle controller and attempted to do a firmware update but get an error message Incorrect repository path location (SUP0530).

I copied the files to the root of the USB drive.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

If you want to use RAID on the S110, then enable it and use the 'hard drive' version of this driver (it MUST be run/extracted BEFORE use):
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=FNPHT&fileId=3202473198&osCode=WS8R2&productCode=poweredge-t420&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SF

• 

8.8K Posts

July 18th, 2014 06:00

Sorry for the delay. TheFlash1932 is correct, you are loading the driver in order to properly communicate with the controller. Not to update with. You can also proceed through the Lifecycle Controller (F10 on startup) for an OS deployment as well, then load the driver that way as well.

Let us know how it is going.

No Events found!