Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2010 03:00

Cannot enable Virtualization Technology on Dell R510 (CPU E5620)

I've checked the BIOS several times and the Virtualization Technology option is enabled. However, when booted and running WIndows Server 2008 R2, the Intel CPU ID tool (and a tool from Gibson Research) both report that Virtualization is NOT enabled. Of course, Hyper-V is unable to start any virtual machines.

I've looked and can't find any other setting in the BIOS tom enable virtualization. What am I mssing? Or does we have a faulty processor?

Thanks

9.3K Posts

July 12th, 2010 11:00

Try a reset of the bios settings to factory default, and then re-enable VT to see if it makes a difference.

6 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 19:00

Make sure VT & Execute Disable Bit are both enabled in the bios. After doing so, power cycle the computer, this means shutting it down, unplug power cord for 10 sec, and plug it back in. A power cycle is required to enable execute disable bit, I think I wasted 2 hours once with this issue myself.

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 06:00

Thanks for the suggestion, but both VT and Execute Disable are currently enabled.

I have not had a chance to try reseting the BIOS settings to default then setting them again (as suggested by Dev Mgr).

I currently have a support call logged with Dell and they have escalated it to their software team.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2010 11:00

All,

DELL-Dennis S (Server/Storage Liaison) will be reaching out via this thread for more information.

946 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 12:00

Have you checked Event viewer?  Is it giving any errors assc. with Hyper-V?  Has this ever worked?

June 26th, 2012 06:00

So 2 years have passed and this exact same thing is happening to me on an R815.  Support will not help me because of my support subscription.  VT and Xbit are enabled.  Power Cycle has been performed.  About to go reset the BIOS, enable VT, and power cycle.  If anyone has anything to add that would be helpful.

39 Posts

June 28th, 2012 14:00

Are they really so hard to enable VT-x? So now I'm worried.

But we have few R710s, and few R610 running ESX, but they perfom well.. no ingerention needed.

June 28th, 2012 20:00

Aparently there is a hotfix you can get from Microsoft that works for machines with AMD processors.  Disabled VT, installed hotfix and then was able to load the OpenManage software.  That allowed me to switch the VT to enabled, reboot, and it worked fine after that.  Strange.

9.3K Posts

June 29th, 2012 07:00

That is a Microsoft problem (for the R815). AMD released a new virtualization capability on their processors. VMware didn't need any patches afaik, but Microsoft did (to understand it's capabilities).

3 Posts

August 17th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue on a R710. Virtualization Tech and Execute Disable are both enabled in BIOS. I've tried all of the above: cold booting by unplugging the machine, resetting to defaults in BIOS, uninstalling and reinstalling hyper-v role.

Some additional symptoms that might be relate, or might be coincidental seperate issues: I can't seem to install OMSA (OM Essentials is installed), I get a BSOD during the prereq check, and the Intel Processor ID Utility displays CPU as overclocked, no VT enabled, and no hyperthreading enabled.

If there are any updates to this issue, I would appreciate it. I bought this server to replace a failed one in my company, but I would like to change our infrastructure to make this one a Host, and move all of our servers to virtual machines.

No Events found!