Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2012 08:00

Connect 2 Server PowerEdge R815 through FC connection

Hi all,

I have 2 server PowerEdge R815 with HBA card and 1 SAN switch Brocade 300. Could I make a connection between 2 server through FC ?

And how to archive that?

Thanks !

990 Posts

August 6th, 2012 11:00

Here you go:

Step 1:

Install latest drivers and firmware for the HBA (ensuring that they are validated by the storage vendor).  With this, install the management software for the HBA (HBAnywhere for Emulex and SANSurfer for Qlogic).  An alternative to this would be to interrupt POST and discover the world wide name (WWN) of the installed HBA with either “CTRL+E” or “CTRL+Q” (different commands for different manufacturers).

Step 2:

Discover the WWN of the HBA through the appropriate management software.

Step 3:

In the switch, find the WWN and assign an alias to it (server name).

Step 4:

Create a zone by adding the target (storage device) and initiator (server HBA) world wide names to the zone.

Step 5:

Save the zone.

Step 6:

Save the zone to the zoneset (currently bumps I/O for a few milliseconds).

Step 7:

Carve a LUN/volume and assign it to the server—specifics depends on the vendor.

Regards,

9.3K Posts

August 6th, 2012 12:00

FC is a SCSI protocol. Typically 2 servers cannot communicate with eachother over a SCSI protocol unless you make one of them a "target". There are some linux distros that can do this (e.g. OpenFiler).

August 6th, 2012 19:00

Hi all,

I have 1 application server and 1 database server. Application server will request data from sql database server. Could I make connection between them through FC ?

Thanks

9.3K Posts

August 7th, 2012 08:00

No, this isn't possible. You'll want to get 2 network cards (that could use RJ45 ports or SFP ports).

No Events found!