Previous state was: OK (Normal)
Current sensor value (in Amps): 0.000

Then returns to normal state a few seconds later -

Current sensor detected a normal value
Sensor location: Power supply 1 +12v
Chassis location: Main System Chassis
Previous state was: OK (Critical)
Current sensor value (in Amps): 0.500

The amps in the second event range from .300 to 1.200. Both events occur every 5 minutes or so.

What is wrong? Do I need a new power supply?

GregR

33 Posts

February 4th, 2004 17:00

Greg,

You might need a new powersupply, but i would do some troubleshooting first. For the sake of speeding your tech support call up I would first reseat power supply. If issue continues, swap power supply around to see if issue follows power supply or stays with slot. Also consider external power source, might be overloading UPS or getting dirty power if plugged directly into outlet. Once you have diagnosed the issue, then contact tech support dor replacement. They might also ask you to upgrade Server Administrator if you are running it as well, sometimes throws up funny voltage errors.

22 Posts

February 6th, 2004 08:00

I have the same issues on 2 brand new PowerEdge 1600SC, same Hardware and same Software (Windows Server 2003, OpenManage 3.6). I don't think it's a faulty PowerSupply.

Any hints?

33 Posts

February 6th, 2004 09:00

While the issues appear the same they may or may not be. Different HW between 4300 and 1600. More than likely your OM software is alot later than his as well, 3.6 doesn't support the 4300 if I remember correctly so that right there creates a software based difference. They did make a patch specifically for Server Admin 1.1-1.2 that address faulty voltage issues, might be significant here.

Could also possibly have dirty power you are dealing with, will cause voltage fluctations. Make sure plugged into a UPS, make sure adequate power, even try different plugs or power strips to eliminate outside sources. Also in multiple power supply systems it is common practice to swap power supply around, that helps to determine if the power supply or power distribution board is faulty.

Also keep in mind, if servers were purchased at same time could possibly be a bad batch of power components, although I would hope that isn't the issue.

Basically it could be dirty power, overloading UPS, bad power supply, bad power distribution board, bad power distribution board cabling, or faulty software errors. Which should be narrowed down by a process of elimination.

Message Edited by jamesm512 on 02-06-2004 05:15 AM

22 Posts

February 6th, 2004 13:00

Thanks for your fast response

Now moved one of the servers in to the server room where we have UPS, but the errors are still coming up.
On the other server I have replaced the two power supplies with older ones, but still errors.

Next week I will remove OpenManage 3.6 and install 3.5, I'l let you know the results.....

22 Posts

February 10th, 2004 06:00

Removed OpenManage 3.6 and installed 3.5, problem solved.
No Events found!