Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2015 09:00

DELL T300 Wake On Lan option

Greetings everyone,

I am trying to find the WOL option on a DELL T300 poweredge.
There is no WOL option in the bios (I have updated the bios the latest version (1.5.2)).
I have updated the firmware of both Broadcom built-in cards and there is no Ctrl+s option to access a config utility.
I have updated the Windows 2008R2 drivers.
I have installed the broadcom application management where it shows WOL enabled for both NIC.
I am using mc-wol.exe from http://www.matcode.com/wol.htm to send a magic packet on the mac address of each card.

I am running out of option here to start the server with the WOL option.
Does anyone has an idea?
Thanks for your help
Wilfrid

• 

6.2K Posts

April 4th, 2015 12:00

Hello Wilfrid

I have installed the broadcom application management where it shows WOL enabled for both NIC.

WOL is not set from the system BIOS. It is set directly on the NIC. If it shows as enabled from the Broadcom application then it is enabled. I would suggest that you troubleshoot the method you are using to send the packet.

I have updated the firmware of both Broadcom built-in cards and there is no Ctrl+s option to access a config utility.

You would likely need to enable the the firmware interface. We would likely have it disabled by default because it would slow boot times. Check in the system BIOS under integrated devices for an option to enable it.

Thanks

8 Posts

April 5th, 2015 04:00

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for answering.
I tried 4 different apps to send a magic packet. Same result :-(.
The apps can see the server with IP and mac but when sending the packet, nothing.
I used the same command line with a poweredge sc1420 with 2003.
But with the T300 2008R2, not working.
The network cable is on the NIC2.
Both NICs are enabled in the Bios under integrated devices but the start up menu only shows Ctrl+C for the SAS card and Ctrl+E for the baseboard management controller.
In the integrated devices menu I have:
- USB ports
- Embedded NIC 1 and 2 (enabled)
- OS watchdog timer
- I/OAT dma engine
- Sys interrupts Assignment
Reading discussions on this matter, is there a specific port to open on the FW for WOL?
I do not think it is relevant as the OS is not loaded but just wondering.

Thanks
Wilfrid

• 

6.2K Posts

April 5th, 2015 10:00

Reading discussions on this matter, is there a specific port to open on the FW for WOL?

Not that I'm aware of. I would use a packet sniffer to see if the packet is reaching it's destination. Since magic packets are sent as broadcasts it is common for them to be be blocked at some point due to network security.

Thanks

8 Posts

April 6th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

I setup wireshark. I can see the magic packet coming in at the port I sent it to (7, 9 and 4343).
When the server is off, I can see the blinking light at the network plug so it means there is network activity.
I even setup 2003 server (32) which is the original OS in case it would change something but nothing.
Still the server is not coming up to life.
My next question is, is there a default port for a broadcom NIC to receive the magic packet?
I checked the broadcom specs but I could not find anything related to this.
I am running out of options here (may be setup another NIC).
I would welcome any insight / test / idea.
Thanks for any help.
Wilfrid

1 Message

June 20th, 2015 15:00

I had the same problem.

After 2 hours, I found solution:

1/ NIC: Enabled with PXE

2/ Option CTRL-S appears now

3/ In Option : enable wakeonlan

Yes! My T300 reboots now with Magic Packet (port 9)

Norbert

No Events found!