Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

November 22nd, 2017 01:00

DELL T310 and FREENAS

Hi.

I'm trying to convert my dell t310 in a freenas system.

1. The motherboard sata ports  will support hd drives of 3 or 4 tb? (I will dismount the raid perc6 card that support only 2gb hd)

2. after installing freenas I have discovered that the XEON CPU X3440 don't support the UG feature to virtualize guest OS under the freebsd freenas os:
    1. ohyve list
      Your CPU does not seem to fully support bhyve. Missing UG feature on Intel CPU, please upgrade to 5600 series.

cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep VT-x | grep EPT 

VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,VPID

2. I have verified that no virtual machine start with xeon cpu under freenas.
  3. upgrading the xeon cpu to have UG virtualization support , the DELL  manual report only this CPU as compatible:
    1. Intel Core i3 540 3.06GHz/2C/4M •
    2. Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz/2C/4M •
    3. Intel Pentium G6950 2.8 GHz/2C/3M •
    4. Intel Celeron G1101 2.26GHz/2C/2M

It's possible to mount most powerful cpu like i5 or i7? it's cpu this list updated to latest cpu models?

Please let me know.

• 

6.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 09:00

Hello

The motherboard sata ports  will support hd drives of 3 or 4 tb?

The SATA controller on the system board does not address the drives, so theoretically there is not a size limit imposed by the system board.

It's possible to mount most powerful cpu like i5 or i7? it's cpu this list updated to latest cpu models?

The T310 system board supports several Intel CPUs based on the Nehalem architecture. The unrestricted guest feature appears to have been introduced with Westmere.

Thanks

13 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 10:00

Hello. 

Thank you for support.

I see here that one of dell t310 compatible cpu's result as 1st generation Westmere cpu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i3_microprocessors

I'm wrong? 

• 

6.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 11:00

I see here that one of dell t310 compatible cpu's result as 1st generation Westmere cpu

Yes, the Clarksdale CPUs supported on the T310 are Westmere architecture. The UG feature was added with Westmere, but I'm not sure which generation it was added or if all generations from that point forward support it.

I reviewed the data sheets for the I3-5xx and UG is not a listed feature. UG is part of the VT-x feature set. You can't tell whether or not a CPU supports UG based on VT-x support. A system may list VT-x as a supported feature and not support UG. UG support is not something Intel lists on the ark info pages. You will need to review data sheets to find out if a CPU supports UG. It should be listed under the VT-x section if it is supported.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-technical-resources.html

Thanks

13 Posts

November 29th, 2017 08:00

Hello,

I have installed an I3 -540 SLBMQ 3,06ghz / 4m / 09A 

on the dell t310 with 16gb of ram.

but the system don't boot, I see black screen.. i have tried to reset cmos.. dismount battery.. but nothing works...

reinstalling the xeon cpu boot correctly... 

What is wrong? the i3 cpu is listed as compatible..

Thanks.

• 

6.2K Posts

November 29th, 2017 09:00

What is wrong? the i3 cpu is listed as compatible..

I didn't notice your memory specifications listed anywhere in the thread. My first guess is that you are using registered/buffered DIMMs. I'm fairly certain the I3 is a consumer/client CPU that does not support RDIMMs. In general, only Xeon CPUs support RDIMMs.

Thanks

13 Posts

November 29th, 2017 15:00

Yes I use ECC ram :(

Therefore there are no other cpu i series that can I use to upgrade the t310 and use virtualization of freenas?

No Events found!