Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

June 12th, 2017 05:00

Dell M820 Blade stuck initialising

Hello,

i'm currently building up a Dell M820 blade server.

I have installed 32gb Ram (4x8gb) 2 CPU's E5-4640 and a networking card XWKGY, when i plug this into the M1000e it just sits initialising with a flashing amber light on the front, does anyone know a minimum working spec that i can try? or am i missing something from this? 

• 

8.5K Posts

June 12th, 2017 09:00

Ndn1992,

To answer your question, the minimum hardware to allow the M820 to complete POST are:

• System board.
  • 2 Processors (with heatsink).
  • 1 DIMM in slot 1 of memory bank A.
  • M1000e Blades Chassis.
  • M1000e Control panel and backplane (to turn on system). 

Yet looking at what you stated was installed, the parts do seem compatible. 

Let me know what you see with the Minimum to Post configuration.

39 Posts

June 14th, 2017 10:00

hello Chris,

i have tried the minimum config and still same - just sits on initialising and flashes amber. In the GUI the server is shown as healthy and there is nothing in the CMC logs. when i click on the 'power on server' control option it just says iDRAC not ready, see CMC logs for details'. 

Thanks

• 

8.5K Posts

June 15th, 2017 06:00

Try clearing the NVRam, you do so by powering down the server, removing the AC cables, hold down the power button for 20sec, then you open the cover of the server and move the jumper located here.

Once the jumper is moved over then restore the power cords and power on the server. That will clear the NVRam, once completed power back down to restore the jumper to its original location. Wait a couple minutes before starting the server back up, then let me know the results.

39 Posts

June 15th, 2017 07:00

hi Chris,

gave this a go still just orange flashing light and 'idrac not ready' message when try to power on the server. 

• 

8.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 13:00

It appears that the iDrac is failed. Just to be certain, what version is the BIOS and iDrac currently at? 

39 Posts

June 23rd, 2017 03:00

is there a way of getting this info as i can't get the server to power up to be able to view this. i've tried the racadm getversion command and it just says - slot 1 - idrac not ready

thanks

No Events found!