Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2017 13:00

Dell PowerEdge 2900 Server (ECM01) Sata Upgrade

I want to use add a SATA 3 PCI card (IO CREST 4 Port, SI-PEX-40064) to my Dell PowerEdge 2900 (ECM01) Server so that I can mount a SSD to use for backup.

Does the SATA port on this Server support SATA 3 drive and is there any configuration needed?

I suspect that the speed will be slow due to the legacy SATA port on the motherboard. Will the SATA 3 PCI card improve this or am I just better off using older SATA 1 SSD? 

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 5th, 2017 07:00

No, I believe they are SATA II, but there is a chance that a regular drive won't be seen on it, as some RAID controllers trump the onboard ports for storage (for tape and CD/DVD).

I would think the PCIe bus would allow faster speeds than the SATA controller anyway.

January 6th, 2017 06:00

Thanks, Flash! I'm waiting for my SATA 3 PCI-e card to be delivered so hopefully that will work. The extra speed will be nice. The main reason for wanting to use SSD drives is for convenience and portability when backing up our server since they are hot swappable.

FYI, I tried connecting the SATA 3 SSD to the PC's using the HS USB enclosure that was included. One could see the SSD drive and mount it but not write to it and the other did not see the SSD drive at all.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 6th, 2017 09:00

Probably needs USB 3.0 for the dongle.

One thing to watch out for is that some third party utilities don't know how to communicate to the server BIOS that it manages a bootable device, so you may not even get the option to boot to it.

No Events found!