Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2016 19:00

Dell PowerEdge 840

I have a PowerEdge 840 with 2 SATA drives inserted.  Both are blank drives.  When I power up the server, I eventually get to a point where I receive the message:

BMC Setup "Press

Strike F1 to rety boot, F2 for setup utility.

I press F1 and I don't see anything unusual.  So, I escape and it eventually gets back to the same place.

Just prior to this happening the server was booting fine.  One of the other server tech's in our church (we are a small organization with volunteer support) removed the SAS drives that were in Raid 1 configuration and replaced them with SATA drives and he said he reset the SAS Configuration utility so that it would be RAID 0.  I am not familiar with the SAS 5 configuration utility so I don't know how to check if he did it properly but it seems unusual that this error now shows up after he made the changes.

How can I resolve this problem?

Thank y ou

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 19th, 2016 06:00

I'm not sure I understand the problem ... that it won't boot the OS? With blank drives, it shouldn't, right? Also, changing the RAID configuration would mean it shouldn't. Sorry if I'm missing something, but it sounds like the job is only half done and the OS needs to be reinstalled or a backup restored.

Also, if it's not too late (sounds like it is not), don't use RAID 0. Set up RAID 1 instead.

11 Posts

August 19th, 2016 15:00

you are correct. I swapped drives with Raid 1 set and all is well

No Events found!