Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2020 20:00

Dell PowerEdge R240 and M.2 NVMe?

Hello,

I'm looking for a Boss controller adapter that supports m.2 NVME drives for my new Poweredge R240?

It must be a low profile PCI-E by the way.

I have tried with a cheap PCI-E to M.2 NVME (Startech PEX4M2E1) & I installed Proxmox on it but it fails to boot & it's not shown on Idrac either.

I have found part numbers 0JV70F and 72WKY I believe both are low profile PCI-E adapters but I can't confirm if they are compatible with m.2 NVME drives.

On another post in this site, someone pointed out that part # 5T20H and M7W47 support M.2 NVME drives but both are hi profile adapters.

Please Help!.

Thanks.

May 19th, 2020 10:00

@DELL-Joey C I Finnally bought a cheap second hand WD Blue 3D Nand  Sata SSD drive (500GB P/N: WDS500G2B0B-00YS70)

It is working out great so far. Thanks for your help. 

• 

8.5K Posts

May 1st, 2020 06:00

Svaguilarv,

The second part number on both references you gave are the ones supported (72WKY and M7W47) the others you listed don't show as supported. The Low profile version is indeed the 72WKY card, which also supports M.2 NVME drives.

Hope this helps.

May 1st, 2020 16:00

Do you know if the 2MFVD model is also supported?

Why can't dell put proper specsheets for each model?

May 1st, 2020 16:00

I'm going for the 72WKY card then!

Thank you very much Chris H

May 5th, 2020 15:00

@DELL-Chris H Do you know if the card P/N: 403-BBUC supports NVME?

• 

8.5K Posts

May 6th, 2020 08:00

Yes it does.

May 18th, 2020 16:00

Hi @DELL-Chris H, I finally purchased the DELL 72WKY BOSS CONTROLLER CARD and it arrived today.

I put a WD SSD 250GB WD Black SN750 NVMe (P/N: WDS250G3X0C) in it but the drive doesn't appear at all in Idrac within the physical drives and the Proxmox installation won't detect it either. As I said on my first post the same NVME drive would be detected with the cheap Startech adapter during the installation of Proxmox but won't boot. With the Dell Boss controller, it won't show up at all in either case.

So as you can see I'm feeling quite frustrated. The next step should be to buy a new "generic" SATA III M.2 (non-nvme this time) but I don't know if it will run or I'll have to buy one of the supported drives as according to the Boss Controller manual.

My options are:

Local Purchase in my country "generic option":

•  Western Digital (P/N: WDS240G2G0B) for USD $49

Ebay International purchase according to the Dell manual:

• Micron 5100 PRO 480GB M.2 for USD $135

Please help! 

• 

3.1K Posts

May 18th, 2020 18:00

Hi,

To be honest, I am unsure if the generic M.2 would be detect by the Dell BOSS card. Though, only 3 are listed and tested with the BOSS card, which is written in the user guide. I gave a check on the BOSS card specs, it can support up to 6Gb/s, but SN740 is a 8Gb/s. It probably could be a root cause that it is not detect?

Something I would like to ask, if the Dell BOSS card detect in BIOS and iDRAC without any drive install on to it? Can you check in iDRAC > Controller, if there is anything listed on AHCI. Oh and, is the card installed on PCIe slot 1, that the priority slot needed to be in. 

Next I would check would the server's BIOS and iDRAC firmware, are they far behind on versions? 

May 18th, 2020 19:00

Hello @DELL-Joey C It does list the Boss in the Idrac (it''s mounted on slot n°1) but without any drive on it.

The Physical drives listed are the ones installed on the Perc H330 adapter.

All system firmware is up to date. I attempted to update the Boss Controller today but the firmware available on Dell's support website was older than the one it already has.

svaguilarv_0-1589856418299.png

• 

3.1K Posts

May 18th, 2020 23:00

Hi,

Good to know that the system detects the card itself. Now, could you check the installation if the M.2 NVMe is seated properly without the contact fingers exposed? The firmware for the card is good. If the drive is not detected, then it could be the speed of the connection which is 6gb and 8gb. Oh and, is the BIOS set to UEFI?

May 19th, 2020 06:00

Thank you for your reply @DELL-Joey C , The NVME card is all the way in just like the card inserted in slot 1 in your picture. 

And the BIOS is in UEFI mode:

svaguilarv_0-1589893614139.png

No Events found!