Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2010 15:00

Dell Poweredge 2650 Fans and other things

Hi There,

I have a Dell Poweredge 2650, and its seriously loud. I saw an ESM fix, but the link is dead (on the Dell Website), and most of the other downloads are dead on the Support page, which is rather infuriating, however it may be a problem on my end, since everything is routed through the UK Joint Academic Network to the Internet. Could someone direct me to some alternate links for the ESM fix and the Server Administrator download.

Many Thanks,

W Griffiths

December 9th, 2010 10:00

I can't guarantee that the ESM update will make your server quiet to your expectations, but it will ensure that the server is running as quietly and efficiently as it is designed to do.  If not, there may not be a fix, provided you have eliminated common fan speed problems - cover on/secured, no excess dust, no failed fan, etc.

ESM Update - just run from Windows:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R53488&SystemID=PWE_FOS_XEO_2650&servicetag=&os=WNET&osl=en&deviceid=160&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=29&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=120169

The link above does work, but if it doesn't, try this one:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/esm/ESM-WIN-A02.exe

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 21st, 2010 17:00

Here are the direct FTP links.  The ESM is listed second, just in case you haven't already updated your BIOS.  They should always be updated together - BIOS first.  These all assume Windows Server 2003 or greater. 

BIOS Firmware (requires a reboot):
ftp://ftp.dell.com/bios/PE2650_BIOS_WIN_A21.EXE

ESM Firmware (will not reboot, but fans will speed up and may last 10 minutes or more):
ftp://ftp.dell.com/esm/ESM-WIN-A02.exe

OpenManage Server Administrator (you should also update your RAID firmware (drivers first) after doing the above; download and run to extract/unzip files, then run C:\Openmanage\windows\setup.exe.  Choose Custom install and make sure Storage Management is installed):
ftp://ftp.dell.com/sysman/OM_5.5.0_ManNode_A00.exe

9 Posts

December 9th, 2010 05:00

Hi,

Thanks for the Post, I updated the BIOS, which was successful, however the ESM Firmware was already up to date v1.01 I think, however the the fans are still running at 7k RPM in a fairly cold room 18*c. I saw this file, OM-f_a04_bm.zip , which suggests a different fix, has anyone had experience with this file, and does it solve the problem.

Many Thanks,

Will Griffiths

That is the firmware for the ERA (Embedded Remote Access) and will not affect it.  I believe the latest ESM firmware is 3.xx.  The backplane firmware may be 1.01.

9 Posts

Hi,

Is there an ESM Update avaliable that will solve the problem of the fans running into 7k RPM which is much higher than the minimum of 4k RPM, if so, where may I obtain it, since I have found tonnes of dead links and dead ends.

Many Thanks,

Will Griffiths

No Events found!