Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2013 05:00

Dell R210 BIOS Locked

I bought a used server, still under Dell Warranty, on Ebay last week only to find that it was completely locked from a BIOS standpoint.  I purchased it to be my home Pfsense firewall, for which I believe it is ideally suited.  Now, I can get creative with the HDD power so that I can force this thing to boot from CD, but I'd rather do it without getting too risky w/the hardware.

What is the proper procedure to completely wipe the BIOS, to include any passwords?  Is there such a mechanism, either in chassis or keystrokes?

Any help would be appreciated.  Oh, and I already tried the 3-light CTRL-E, F, B trick with no luck.

Regards,

[bh]

990 Posts

August 9th, 2013 07:00

Here is a link to the manual: ftp.dell.com/.../poweredge-r210_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Go to Jumpers\Connectors, and use the bios password reset jumper following the process listed.

Regards,

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

Page 41 of the manual to clear the NVRAM:

ftp.dell.com/.../poweredge-r210_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

Sorry Geoff ... should have refreshed :)

2 Posts

August 9th, 2013 18:00

Thanks all.  I figured there was a jumper in chassis.  Wanted to know if there was another way since I made the rookie mistake of racking/stacking prior to my bench test.  I appreciate the clarification.

Thanks again.

No Events found!