Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

5 Posts

April 13th, 2021 03:00

Dell R420 | CPU 1 MEM VTT PG voltage is outside of range.

Hi,
we have recently set up a new R420 server that we bought from a broker,
we added the memory and an extra PSU before running it however we have encountered those two errors which cause the server to randomly restart :

CPU 1 MEM VTT PG voltage is outside of range.

CPU 1 MEM VDDQ PG voltage is outside of range

I ran some diagnostics software however everything showed up as OK/green, so I don't really know where to look now, and I am kinda stuck.
Any suggestions ?

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

April 13th, 2021 07:00

Hello @juniorisep,

First, try to perform a clean flea power on the server: How do I Reset and Drain Power of my Dell PowerEdge Server? - https://dell.to/2PYusP6

If this does not fix the problem, try to clear the NVRAM via Jumpers:
DellEMC PowerEdge R240: Clear NVRAM via Jumpers - https://dell.to/3uNw9h3

What memory are you using? Please, post name and model or even better, a picture.

Does the server have 1 or 2 CPUs? If 2, you could try swapping them and checking if the error follows the CPU or stays in socket 1.

That's all for the moment, if the problem still persist I would suggest a Minimum to Post.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

April 13th, 2021 09:00

Hi Diego
thanks for the reply,
I performed a clean flea power on the server, so far the error hasn't showed up.

But the last time we tried that did not do anything, so just in case this wouldn't be enough once again, I share the memory & cpu config (their is only 1 CPU but we planned to add a new one asap (same cpu):
RAM3.PNGRAM2.PNGRAM1.PNGCPU2.PNGCPU1.PNG

April 13th, 2021 11:00

Just a new feedback, even after a clean flea power & cleared NVRAM via Jumpers, the errors still showed up 45min after the restart

• 

8.4K Posts

April 13th, 2021 12:00

Thank you for the details. First thing I would start with is making sure the server is up to date on the BIOS, iDrac, Raid controller, and the power supplies. See if the issue persists after that, if so then take to the minimum to post configuration as Diego requested. If the error stops at minimum to post then individually add the removed devices back to see if one triggers the issue to reappear (identifying the device causing it). Now if the error persists under minimum to post I would look at the motherboard being bad. 

Let us know what you see. 

April 15th, 2021 11:00

As I had no other choice, I did a minimum to post configuration, the problem doesn't come from any PSU or ram stick. It comes from the fact that I am using 3 RAM sticks.
However, I followed the user's manual of the server which have an example with 3x8Gb ram stick (which is my case here). Is it an error from the manual or am I missing something ?

Thank you for your help so far

• 

8.4K Posts

April 15th, 2021 13:00

I am not sure I follow. You stated "the problem doesn't come from any PSU or ram stick" at the same time you said it was due to "using 3 RAM sticks". 

So let me ask you this.

Does the server display any error with a single dimm in A1, does it when you test each dimm in A1 alone?

Second, if it doesn't display the error, does it with 2 dimms installed in A1 and A2 (white tabbed)?

If not, does the error then appear when all 3 dimms are installed in A1, A2, and A3 (all the white tabbed ones)?

If so then the issue is likely due to the slot on the board, not the dimm or its configuration.

Let me know what you see, or if I misinterpreted you.

April 16th, 2021 02:00

Sorry if my explanation wasn't very clear. Here is the output of my tests

- DIMM 1 in A1 => ok
- DIMM 1 in A1 / DIMM 2 in A2 => ok
- DIMM 1 in A1 / DIMM 2 in A2 / DIMM 3 in A3 => errors
- DIMM 1 in A1 / DIMM 3 in A2 => ok
- DIMM 1 in A1 / DIMM 3 in A2 /  DIMM 2 in A3 => errors

I first thought that i could come from the Ram configuration as no all configurations are possible, but I guess you are right that the issue can come from the A3 slot itself

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

April 16th, 2021 04:00

Hello @juniorisep,

After this swap test you performed with the DIMM slots if the problem persist in A3 yes, that can mean a faulty slot. Make sure your BIOS and IDRAC firmware are up to date. If the problem persist, and you need to use that memory configuration you may need to replace the motherboard.

Regards.

61 Posts

July 4th, 2022 19:00

Junior, I've bought 2 machines from a broker aswell, and Im having THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM as you. IT came with 2 CPU and 4x8gb, and it works fine as that. Whenever I try to run it with 64gb (8x8gb) the reboots begins, with exactly the same errors as yours. Have you managed to fix it somehow?

To the MODs: are there any memory setup I can try in order to achieve the 64gb (8x8gb) other than using the slots A1,A2,A3,A4 and B1,B2,B3,B4 ?? My problem happens with the CPU1 so if there is a problem in a slot, it must be slot A3 or A4. Are there a way to activate all my 64gb without using one of these 2 slots? What you suggest me to try to find out the exact defective slot? If I use only A1/2/3,B1/2/3 and the problem vanishes, can we assure that the problem is with the A4 slot? If not, what you suggest me to check in the slots? Could dirt to cause such error?

• 

3.1K Posts

July 4th, 2022 23:00

Hi @Greg asd,

To answer you question, is there a way to not use A3 and A4, unfortunately there is no way to do it. The server has 3 channels memory. If A3 and A4 is not populated, the server is left with Channel 2, A2 and A5. 

My suggestion is to try this. Have you updated the iDRAC/LCC and BIOS firmware? If you have not, please update them. Then remove second CPU and all memory modules from B channels (remember to take note of all original memory that came with the server). Insert original memory into A1, A2, A3 and A4. Does the error persist? If yes, remove memory A2 and A4, does the error persist? 

Yes, it could be dirt or rust, if the server have been used for some time and no memories are inserted in A3 and A4.

61 Posts

July 6th, 2022 06:00

Can the system work with A3 being used and A2 free? IF thats possible, isnt it possible to use A1,A2,A4 and A5?

• 

2.2K Posts

July 6th, 2022 07:00

Hello, I agree with what Joey said. R420 has 3 memory channels per processor. There are 6 memory channels total. Each memory channel can support up to 2 DIMMs per channel. There are 6 DIMMs per processor and 12 DIMMs total.

You can check more details from system memory and subtitles via link https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-r420/r420ownersmanual-v2/system-memory?guid=guid-8f83114b-b589-47e9-a999-cc71ad11f0f1&lang=en-us 

I can suggest reviewing sample memory configurations https://dell.to/3yJZD45

1 Message

July 17th, 2022 10:00

Hi,

i have the same Problem with two R420, both are up to date on Bios and Idrac. Everytime i populate A1; A2 and A3 with 8 or 16GB memory moduls and boot into operating system the maschine restarts with the known error. If i leave A3 and B3 empty the machines run fine. I changed tons of memory and 3 sets of cpus. Nothing worked.

I solved this by disable C-States in the Bios under System Profil. Now i can not use C-States.

Any suggestion?

• 

3.1K Posts

July 18th, 2022 00:00

Hi @wirehead,

If you manage to resolve the issue by disabling C-State, do continue with it being disabled. The basic idea of C-States is to cut the clock signal and power from idle units inside the CPU. This would also help in issue with CPU IERR. 

8 Posts

November 24th, 2022 05:00

Hello, 

I have a problem with my homelab server Dell R420.  2 CPU (Xeon(R) CPU E5-2420) 16 GB Total ram.

I wanted to upgrade my RAM. I have already 2 piece 8GB 2Rx4 PC3L - 10600 - 9 - 12 - E2. So total 16GB ram.

But i have also RAMs from different server 8GB 2Rx4 PC3 - 10600 - 09 - 10 - E1 - P1. 

I think i can not use both RAMs together. because of the power differences. (1.35v  PC3L - 1.5v PC3)

So i decided to use all PC3 because user manual tels me that i can use 1.5v DDR3 Rams. 

When i use 1 Ram for A1, 1 for B1 = Total = 16GB and not having problem. 

When i use 2 Ram for A1, A2,  2 for B1 , B2  = Total = 32GB and not having problem. 

When i use 3 or more RAM modules per CPU, i have erors. and server rebooting. Here is the logs. 

CPU 1 MEM VDDQ PG voltage is outside of range.

CPU 1 MEM VTT PG voltage is outside of range.

I have Ram Modules PC3, 12 pieces. Can i use them all = 12 * 8 = 96 GB of RAM ?  

I updated BIOS and Lifecycle Manager to the latest. 

Here is the R420 Ram sample memory configurations. 

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/tr-tr/poweredge-r420/r420ownersmanual-v2/sample-memory-configurations?guid=guid-d2d044c7-fc72-4530-9389-2e9861177b54&lang=en-us

I want to use as much as i can. Thank you for advices. 

No Events found!