Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

6 Posts

May 1st, 2018 14:00

Dell R420 hangs at Configuring Memory if I install a second CPU.

I got a second matching CPU for my R420 and when I install it, the machine hangs on "Configuring memory..." Now, the thing is, if I swap CPUs, either of the CPUs alone will boot up and handle any stress test I throw at it. But with both CPUs in at the same time hangs. All RAM tests fine, both CPUs check out fine, lifecycle controller log doesn't log anything except PSU data on the power up.

Config that worked direct from the factory:

• Intel Xeon E5-2403 v2 1.80GHz
  • 8GB PC3-12800 x 4
  • PCIE Riser for Chassis with 1 CPU, Part Number HC547

Config that doesn't work:

• Add second identical Intel Xeon E5-2403 v2 1.80GHz
  • Move 2 DIMMs from CPU 1 banks to CPU2 banks.
  • Add PCIE Riser for Chassis with 2 CPU, Part Number 7KMJ7

It just hangs at Configuring Memory. Memory tests out 100% good. Both CPUs test out fine alone in socket 1. Hangs with the 2CPU riser, hangs with the 1 CPU riser, hangs with NO riser. 

BIOS is latest version.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 1st, 2018 17:00

Hi,

What size memory is in the slots? Is the memory configuration the same for both CPUs? Which slots do you have memory in?

6 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 12:00

As mentioned in the original post:

• 8GB PC3-12800 x 4
  • Move 2 DIMMs from CPU 1 banks to CPU2 banks.

DIMMs are in A1, A2, B1, B2, and in testing I've reduced it to a single DIMM in A1 and B1. The RAM came with the unit from the factory. The only non-original components are the second CPU (identical to the first) and the 2CPU riser card to replace the 1CPU riser card.

6 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 15:00

When it boots, it's running ESXi or Windows, depending on what it needs to do (right now I'm exploring a couple different uses for the server), but it's not booting even to the BIOS right now.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2018 15:00

Can you private message me the service tag? What OS is the system running?

• 

8.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2018 16:00

If you can get a support assist report that may help. 

http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/poweredge-r420/sae10ug/overview?guid=guid-92edcc7e-a2d7-4e79-b628-9b50caefa045&lang=en-us

It may also be useful to run the intel cpu id tool on each processor and make sure there is not a stepping difference that could cause an issue.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005651/processors.html

It is possible that it is an issue with one of the memory slots and the system board would need to be replaced.

6 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 22:00

Both CPUs are the exact same model. There's only one stepping of this specific processor.

When you talk about the support assist tool, What would I be looking for? Remember that it won't boot with both CPUs, so I'd have to run this twice, once under each CPU installed alone. I'd like to know what to look for rather than blindly doing all that.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2018 09:00

It would be so we could look at the hardware logs and see if there are any errors. Otherwise I would say it is most likely a memory slot issue and you would want to replace the system  board.

6 Posts

May 4th, 2018 15:00

I've done all that, and nothing else but the following comes up. So I assume there's a faulty board somewhere, which would really cheese me off considering that this machine has been sitting in a rack for years and not exactly subject to any harsh treatment. Especially since the warranty just ran out at the end of January.

I did get the following error before getting the 2CPU riser board, and I STILL get it, oddly enough. "The system board Riser cable or interconnect is not connected, or is improperly connected."

I can't determine WHAT connection isn't right, however. I've reseated everything.

No Events found!