Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 27th, 2022 05:00

Dell T110 II - new graphics card black screen with a cursor

Hi everyone, 

I have a T110 II with bios ver 2.8.0, and I'm trying to install a VisionTek Radeon 5450 2GB DDR3 (DVI-I, HDMI, VGA) Graphics Card (link). My system is running fine normally, and when I install the card, I can't get the machine to boot.... only a black screen with a cursor. If I understand correctly, I'm not getting past the POST, so this rules out the OS (Ubuntu 20.04 Workstation).

In reading a bunch of posts, it seems that this machine is hard to fit with a graphics card. I don't need anything fancy, just an HDMI port for a modern monitor that doesn't have VGA inputs. I found an array of posts that show that giving these machines a video card update is seemingly difficult.

The VisionTek card (model 900861) spec says it uses Max board power: 19.4 watts, so less than the 25w limit I saw in many posts. The Amazon link above says this: "PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard. 250 Watt or greater power supply. Download of updated video drivers may be required to use this unit", yet the Dell spec sheet on the T110 II shows a 305w power supply and the PCIe slot is a 16 lane slot AFAIK.

I found another post that seems to indicate that the same card model 900356 seems to work, yet it seems to have the same specs as the model I purchased.

I also found a post that seems to recommend covering up pins on the card, yet I worry about modifying electronics that I don't know well. Last thing I want to do is mess up my motherboard.

I'm going to call VisionTek to find out if they know what's going on, and I thought I'd also post here in case anyone can tell me what I'm missing. I'd prefer to understand what will actually work before buying another card to avoid electronics landfill.

Can you see what I'm missing or do you have any further ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew

• 

3.7K Posts

May 27th, 2022 10:00

Hello ajhca,

I see you are trying to add a graphics adapter. Dell has not validated an add-in graphics card for the T110II. In addition to that Dell has not validated Ubuntu on this server. It doesn't mean it won't work but that we have no support for it.

Reference: PowerEdge T110 II supports these operating

https://dell.to/3wTNE1R

I could recommend make sure the firmware is up to day such as BIOS 2.10.0.

https://dell.to/3t0ZGW0

If you remove the card does the onboard video work?

Maybe someone in the community has added a graphics card to the T110II and can share their experience.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 27th, 2022 11:00

Charles, Thank you for responding and the links.

I'm a home owner that has been using this server for security cameras and backups for years, so paying for Windows server or an Enterprise license for a Linux distro is not economically viable. I'll do some research to see if SUSE or RedHat have a distro that I can use, though. Would be good to be on a distro that is remotely supported. I'm also looking at updating the BIOS still as well.

That said, the server is getting hung up before it even gets to starting the OS. The *only* thing I see on the screen is the underscore cursor, not even the initial boot up sequences for disk arrays and the Dell logo.

When the card is removed, the machine boots beautifully.

I'm a long way out of my current technical depth on this, so any pointers or tips related to the boot sequence and PCIe card error are welcome. I have a lot of experience with computers, but not really on the hardware side. 

Thank you again and for any further info you or others have.

Andrew

• 

3.7K Posts

May 27th, 2022 11:00

Hello ajhca,

You may try:

BIOS > Integrated Devices Screen: Try disable Embedded Video Controller

Page 42 : https://dell.to/3wSc3WM

Since it works with the card removed and the configuration is unsupported we can see if forum members have any input.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 27th, 2022 13:00

Charles, thank you again for engaging.

I saw that, and yet I cannot access it. Importantly, the computer hangs upon initial startup, before the Dell screen where you hit F2 to get into settings, with the card installed.

If I remove the card, I cannot disable the embedded controller.  

From the manual (note the NOTE): 

Embedded Video Controller (Standard default)
Enables or disables BIOS support for the integrated video controller.
NOTE: This field can be disabled only if an add-in video card is present.

Unfortunately, I still don't have a clear option. BIOS update will happen, yet I don't have hope as the release notes don't seem to say anything about this.

No Events found!