Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2014 01:00

Dell T20 bigger PSU

Hello together,

i have a Dell T20 with Xeon Proc.

I want to use a bigger graphic card and so i need a PSU with two 6-Pin adapter.

My idea is, to buy a bigger compatible PSU from DELL and build into my T20.

Do you know a compatible PSU ?

Thanks

Best regards

• 

8.8K Posts

September 2nd, 2014 08:00

Rkeil,

The only supported power supply for the T20 is the 290 watt PSU that is supplied. Be careful in adding a higher wattage power supply as it can damage the motherboard as well as the other devices in the server. Also, the T20 doesn't support adding a 3rd party graphics card as it conflicts with the servers embedded video. Now with that being said, that doesn't mean you can't get any of these devices to work. It's just that Dell doesn't test the servers with that configuration so we wouldn't have an idea in which card may work.

I hope this helps.

September 15th, 2014 06:00

PCIe Video cards work just fine. My T20 was for a time setup to act as both a File server and HTPC via XBMCBuntu. I used a ATI HD5670 card without issue. The only issue obviously is that there is no 6pin PCIe for a higher powered video card, but any that draw power via the PCIe slot should work just fine.

7 Posts

August 13th, 2016 19:00

I was just wondering what kind of range that "any" would include, as some video cards need more power just for themselves than the entire paltry PSU can deliver

I suspect that if you fully loaded the machine with 32gb ram, 4 sata hard drives, and optical and the quad core xeon and made it really work for its living you would already be over the best practise of never running a PSU above half its maximum load

As for the lack of 6 pin connectors you can get molex to 6 pin and I believe sata to 6 pin adapters, which would probably be a much better approach than trying to draw the power through the motherboard as good quality as dell kit tends to be

I have been looking at the GTX 760ti, which is a reasonable mid level gaming card but which only takes around 60 watts absolute maximum is 75 I believe but 60 is the quoted TDP. But I don't think it has the 6 pin connector which put me off for the reason I mentioned. as that is a lot to draw through the motherboard of a machine that doesn't really seem to have been designed to be much more than a glorified nas which is such a shame as the thing absolutely flies with windows 10, booting in around 7 seconds and doing a restart in not much over 10 seconds from a pretty mediocre Sandisk SSD

A mid range gaming card would make this an amazing machine on a low budget as the build quality and speed even with the 3220 are quite astounding for the price.

I had thought the PC industry had grown out of the proprietry hardware habit but it seems like its having a resurgence lol

Although if someone does know what the SAFE maximum GPU load via the motherboard would be that would be awesome

Otherwise I will have to consider the T1700 PSU which is 365watts with a 6 pin connector or look for a second hand machine and use the 24 pin to 8 pin adapter so I can put a decent power supply into one as I prefer to never load a PSU above half its maximum output as you wouldn't expect a car to last very long if you never drove it below 75% of its top speed which doesn't leave much headroom with only 290watts to begin with

failing that I would have to upgrade my ML110 with a 1220 xeon which I really don't want to do as its such an inferior machine compared to the T20 apart from the power supply

April 5th, 2018 13:00

Hi,

Would this adapter cable work?

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-T1700-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html Dell OptiPlex T1700 PSU Main Power 24-Pin to 8-Pin Adapter Cable (30cm)?

Could I then use a "standard" power supply?

Thanks for your assistance.

May God bless you and your family.

V/R

Steve Koratsky

LTCSpareParts

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 23rd, 2018 11:00

Yes that will work.  There is a newer power supply 365W that supports a 120W card aka GTX 1060.

D365EM-00   T1M43  Delta  CN-0T1M43-17972-33B-00L0-A00
HU365EM-00 7VK45  Shenzhen Huntkey

DVP9W Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, PCIe, 4GB, DVI-D/DP 1.3/1.4/HDMI 2.0, 75w
36V90 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, PCIe, 3GB, DVI-D/3DP/HDMI, 120w
24K8H Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050, PCIe, 2GB, DVI-D/HDMI 2.0/DP 1.3

There's also a guy who made his own adapter.
https://raphtec.wordpress.com/projects/dell-poweredge-t20-atx-power-supply-adapter/

This power supply is 8 pin 7VK45 T1M43 365W

DELL365W.png

December 30th, 2018 15:00

im putting the 1060 with the 6gb in my t20 with a 365w psu.

May 16th, 2020 03:00

@speedstep 

I am looking to put a Nvidia 1660 in my Dell T30. This card has a 8-pin power connector but it did not come with any cables. Am I understand your post correctly, if I install the 365W PSU then I wouldn’t need to connect this card to another power source but the PCIe slot would power it by itself?

I found the 365W PSU online but it doesn’t look like it comes with an addition power cable for additional products like this my graphics card...

I know this post was from two years ago but I can’t seam to find any other forums on the topic!

May 16th, 2020 03:00

@Cashfrm910 

Same question I posted to stepdad above

I am looking to put a Nvidia 1660 in my Dell T30. This card has a 8-pin power connector but it did not come with any cables. Am I understand your post correctly, if I install the 365W PSU then I wouldn’t need to connect this card to another power source but the PCIe slot would power it by itself?

I found the 365W PSU online but it doesn’t look like it comes with an addition power cable for additional products like this my graphics card...

I know this post was from two years ago but I can’t seam to find any other forums on the topic!

No Events found!