Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2012 09:00

Dell UPS Rack/Tower 2700W HV

Hello

I currently have an Dell UPS Rack/Tower 2700W and I try to install the Dell UPS as :
- Real server which sends requests to stop
- Virtual servers that must stop before the central server.

I have a little trouble with the software interface, even with the help files user. So if someone has already done that, I'm interested.

regards,

44 Posts

May 4th, 2012 03:00

Hi There.  I have good news and bad news.  The bad news is that you are using the "old" version of the UPS management software which has been replaced by a much better, easier to use interface.  The good news is that integration of the Dell UPS with vCenter/ESXi is really easy with the new software and the documentation is much improved as well.  Technically the "old" version of the software only supports up to ESXi 4.1 so this would be the reason you're having troubles with the implementation. 

You can download the new software from support.dell.com but it's easier to find on dellups.com -> Software & Technical Documentation. 

Below is a screenshot of the new s/w running as a vCenter plugin.  I simulated a power failure and you can see the software setting a hypervisor to maintenance mode which makes the VM vMotion away to the recovery host.  Once the vMotion is complete the software can shut down the hypervisor.

Let me know if you have any problems. 

44 Posts

May 4th, 2012 07:00

HI Hotline22.  Actually you don't need to load a UPS shutdown agent (ULNM in this case) on any of the ESXi hosts.  By using MUMC (Multi-UPS Management Console) you can do all of this with just one installation on a Windows platform and configure everything from there.  

As long as you are using vCenter then you just need to do the following....:

1. Install MUMC (Multi-UPS Management Console) on a Windows OS (typically 2008 Server but can be Win7 etc).  Make sure the Windows OS already has the Perl SDK installed (see UG for download link) before you install the MUMC.

2. Go to Auto-Discovery and add your UPS (it needs to have the optional network management card installed to work properly with virtualization)

3. Click on System -> Modules Settings ->  Edit settings, check the "virtualization" box

4. Click on the new virtualization menu item ->  Add supervisor -> Enter credentials for the vCenter server manager

5. MUMC will then poll the vCenter server and automatically add your hosts to the software as nodes.  If you click the vCenter plugin option then you can now use this software in vCenter instead of a separate web browser window.

6. Go to "Node Settings", right click each host and enter the user credentials (to allow synchronisation)

7. Left click each node (or multiples at once if you prefer using Ctrl click) and make the shutdown settings (refer to the MUMC user guide for this as these settings make a difference).  Ensure you set the IP address of your UPS under "PowerSource" as this is the UPS that will issue power commands.

8. You're done!  You can now simulate a power failure and everything should be working fine.

Note that vCenter and the hosts are responsible for making the decision on what to do with VMs when the power fails.  The MUMC software will tell the host to either shutdown or go to maintenance mode only.  You need to configure the hosts to vMotion any running VMs away to a DR host if they get the Maintenance command from MUMC.  Or you need to use the VM Startup/Shutdown settings in each host configuration if you would prefer to just shut down the VMs when you have a power cut.

Let me know how you get on with this.  Hopefully it should be fairly clear.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 24th, 2012 16:00

Hello Hotline22

There are step by step instructions in the ULNM guides. If you are having issues with a specific step let us know where the problem is occurring and we will do our best to assist. Also, please let us know the operating system you are using.

UPS management software download:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=932KN&FileId=2942635693&productCode=dell-line-interactive-rack-ups-2700r&urlProductCode=False

Guides:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

The guides titled "Dell UPS Local Node Manager (ULNM) Software" are the ones specifically for setting up virtual machine shutdowns.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

17 Posts

April 25th, 2012 05:00

I checked the pdf "Dell UPS Local Node Manager (ULNM) Software – ESXi Virtual Architecture" and it is "good" (esxi5 compatibility).

But on the Dell_Software_A07, or on dell website, I can't find the rpm "Dell UPS Local Node Manager Console Linux x86_64"

44 Posts

April 30th, 2012 03:00

A point to note would be that if you are using ESXi 5 with vCenter manager then you don't need to install the ULNM agent on each hypervisor.  You can just enter the vCenter credentials into the MUMC software instead.  It will then automatically poll your hypervisors and add them to your monitored nodes list.  If you choose the "install plugin" option it will also install a UPS management plugin to your vCenter console so you can manage the hypervisor shutdown settings directly from within vCenter.   Hope this is useful!

• 

6.2K Posts

April 30th, 2012 11:00

I can't find the rpm "Dell UPS Local Node Manager Console Linux x86_64"

They are located in the the ULNM folder of this:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&s=biz&cs=555&l=en&DriverId=R318771

Thanks 

17 Posts

May 2nd, 2012 03:00

ulnm-linux-01.02.0006-1.x86_64.rpm => Ok

But on ESXi5, no "rpm" command installed :emotion-9:

5 Posts

May 2nd, 2012 14:00

Dell-Daniel

not sure if you can help me with this but see below.  I'm having an issue getting the vcenter plugin installed on my ESXi 4.1 environment.

I am having an issue with the new software for Dell UPS.

I have 2 2700 rack mount UPS's and I installed MUMC and have added the supervisor to connect to my ESX box that is hosting vcenter.  after adding the supervisor, nothing is happening.  I am getting the below error in my log file.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Date: 05/02/12 - 1:21:07 pm

Type:

Error

Module: TaskManager

Details: Error on task: VMHostManagerCSIESX03

Exception: vmSupervisorInfos is not defined

File: scripts/managers/vmhost_manager.js (Line 242)

Stack: ("CSIESX03","CSIESX03.csi.local")@scripts/managers/vmhost_manager.js:242

("CSIESX03")@scripts/managers/vmhost_manager.js:142

("CSIESX03")@scripts/managers/vmhost_manager.js:82

apply([object Object],[object Array])@:0

([object Object])@scripts/managers/task_manager.js:108

call([object Object],[object Object])@:0

()@scripts/libs/core/thread.js:102

@runThread:1

Thanks

Kyle

• 

6.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2012 16:00

Kyle

I see that you already created a thread regarding this issue and Chris is assisting you. I would suggest that you review your installation and make sure all of the prerequisites are met:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/ACC/UPSD/en/MUMCUG.zip

The error simply indicates a communication failure. Please use the thread you created to respond back with more information.

Thanks

5 Posts

May 3rd, 2012 05:00

Thanks Daniel.  I did use the UG that you sent me the link to.  I followed it to the T.  so you are saying the error is saying it can't see my ESX vcenter server?  my UPS nodes come up just fine.

the hump I am at is getting MUMC to correctly connect to vcenter and populate my VM's as nodes.

17 Posts

May 4th, 2012 02:00

Well ... I must be alone in the world to ESXi5 and a Dell UPS. I installed the software on Windows virtual machines like they are physical servers and yet, given the complexity of the software Dell, I doubt my settings. Example, I don't understand if and why we should shutdown UPS when giving the order to turn off a machine, physicial or not, if it will turn off a machine at random and brutally switch off other ...

17 Posts

May 4th, 2012 06:00

I tried DELL_MULTI-DEVICE_A00_R318771.exe (ulnm-linux-01_02_0006-amd64.rpm) but as I mentioned earlier, I haven't  command "rpm" to install on ESXi. How did you proceed to install? Or you have installed this on the vCenter but how to integrate to vSphere?

17 Posts

May 9th, 2012 03:00

Installation of MUMC is right even if I'm going to need a tutorial to understand how all that.
 Work in progress...

44 Posts

May 9th, 2012 03:00

You can use either the MUMC in a web browser or as a plugin in vCenter, the results are the same.

17 Posts

May 9th, 2012 04:00

How to use redundant UPSs with MUMC ?

So now that I have set the nodes, if I run a shutdown of the UPS with the web interface, everything must be Switch off ...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/pressepapiers5.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/sanstitrezvi.png

No Events found!