Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 24th, 2017 07:00

Dell VRTX - Specific Nodes Required?

Hi,

In researching the Dell VRTX and reading the owner's manual a bit I realized that in the section that talks about installing Dell M620 nodes it states that you need to look for the PCIe sticker on the node to "verify" it's a VRTX compatible node...however I've never actually seen an M620 with such a sticker. The manual then goes on to state that nodes that are "not configured for use with the Dell VRTX enclosure" will display an error message.

The manual states "for more information on configuring a server module for the enclosure, see the VRTX Owner's Manual".  But doesn't actually have any info on this. I am wondering does it mean any M620 node can be configured to be used with the VRTX?

I am wondering is there still a weird 'limitation' on this chassis/enclosure regarding this PCIe/configuration stipulation or can any M620 work in the chassis?

• 

8.7K Posts

April 24th, 2017 16:00

Hi,

The difference between the two is that the M1000e uses mezzanine cards and the VRTX uses pcie mezzanine cards, which are not always compatible both ways. However if you had no expansion cards you may be able to get it to work, it just is not tested. 

29 Posts

April 24th, 2017 23:00

I was able to find some more clarifying information. It seems that the pcie mezzanine cards are used as(as you said) switches in fabrics B and C so that the expansion slots can be utilized instead of using addon cards.

Is this the only difference between the M1000e and VRTX M620 nodes? Is there any underlying firmware restriction that identifies a node as belonging to one type of chassis meaning it wouldn't be allowed to work in a particular chassis?

I guess my final question is, if I get the PCIe mezzanine cards and install them in M620 nodes will it work just fine?

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

April 25th, 2017 05:00

Hi Dajinn

The only hardware difference is the pci-e mezzine cards but on the M620 there is a minimum firmware requirement for compatibility with a VRTX chassis.  This is easily overcome by performing a platform/firmware update from the life cycle controller and also after doing this updating the CPLD system which is a simple download and update onto a dos bootable usb key

29 Posts

April 25th, 2017 07:00

Any idea what the firmware version is that's the minimum for VRTX compatibility and also would I be able to update the M620 nodes in a VRTX chassis if I had no other enclosure for them?

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

April 25th, 2017 07:00

en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20439056/download

The above paper states all that is required

You can update in a vrtx chassis but you may get an error during post stating the server is not compatible but you can bypass this and when all updates completed the error will clear

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

April 26th, 2017 13:00

Just a license for enterprise, no additional hardware

29 Posts

April 26th, 2017 13:00

Very good, thank you.

How does iDRAC7 Enterprise function for the M620 blades? Does it require any additional add-on component boards or cards or is it simple a license? 

Thanks.

No Events found!