Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2012 19:00

Dell power edge 2600

I recently acquired a power edge 2600, I can't boot to bios or anything it gives me a one beep then three then one, how do I make it work, I know it's a memory problem I guess

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 25th, 2012 20:00

Remove all the memory sticks but one in the first slot.  Reseat the stick in the first slot (remove, then re-insert).  Try each stick in the first slot.  Try clearing the NVRAM using the jumpers on the motherboard.

• 

166 Posts

January 25th, 2012 21:00

Hi freakoutlikeme

In addition to theflash1932, the beep code 1-3-1 is definitely a memory issue. Basically you will need to isolate the issue whether is the memory stick or the memory slot issue.

Here's a manual for the server beep code:-

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Here's a manual to reset nvram:-

Here's a manual to remove memory:-

Let us know how it goes!

January 26th, 2012 08:00

I have only one stick of 2gb ram for it i bought it off ebay and it is garenteed to work its a ddr pc2100 i think (its dell server ram though) but i dont know weather the raid dimm chip is good, could that be one of the problems for it not booting bios? also i dont have any hard drive hot swaps in it for the time being.

• 

166 Posts

January 27th, 2012 00:00

Hi freakoutlikeme

Have you tried booting the server without any memory? What beep code are you getting?

Alternatively, do you have any other memory stick which you can try?

Basically your server has no display when you tried to boot, correct?

Raid dimm will not cause no display issue.

Let us know how it goes.

January 27th, 2012 03:00

I have not tried  using no memory I will later today and tell you what I get, no I don't have any other working sticks of ram, yes the server won't display anything at al l if just gives the. beeps then the little orange light comes on saying there was an error (the light in the front)

January 27th, 2012 14:00

ok i tried that and it didnt do anything, i forgot that the beep code is 1.3.2  not 1.3.1

any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 27th, 2012 14:00

If you tried all that, then your memory slots or controller are/is shot ... motherboard replacement is, unfortunately, the fix.

January 27th, 2012 16:00

ok, someone told me that you need more than 1 stick of ram to make a server work is that true? I'm only running one 2gb stick, i really don't want to replace the entire mother board

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 27th, 2012 19:00

Dell servers allow a single DIMM for troubleshooting purposes; it is not generally recommended to run a system in production with a single DIMM.  If you only have one stick of RAM, it may just be the RAM ... you could try replacing it first ... it's lots cheaper than a mb.

January 28th, 2012 07:00

when i find the time i'll look for a brand new one thanks

No Events found!