Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2011 14:00

Dual core CPU's in Poweredge 1850's

So, I have been having one heck of a time figuring out a way to determine how to tell which 1850's support dual core CPU's, and which do not - the base information I have is that there were several board revisions of this chassis, but I don't know how to determine which board revision each chassis has. My company has quite a few 1850's, and some work with the dual core after a BIOS update to A07, and others say "processor stepping not supported, system halted".

So Dell, do you have a magical way to tell if my system will support dual core? DMESG has a ton of info, but I don't know what I'm looking for, ditto with lspci - and just looking at the system specs via the ESC code doesn't tell me much either.

We're trying to upgrade quite a few of these, but I don't want to just order 20 dual core CPU's, only to find out that I can use half that number, and get hit with a 15% restocking fee.

If I need to provide more info (ESC#'s, dmesg or lspci output), just let me know.

Thanks,

Vaughn Hawk

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

February 4th, 2011 19:00

So Dell, do you have a magical way to tell if my system will support dual core?

This is a user-to-user board with Dell moderators mostly just making sure you don't violate the terms of service. Rarely will a Dell mod chime in with answers (it does happen though).

The only thing I can think of is to check the motherboard of one of the systems that does support dual core and look for the "DS/N" (Dell serial number). This should start with 2 letters, then a 0 (zero) and the next 5 characters are the Dell partnumber for the board. Any board with that part number and the right bios should be able to support dual core processors.

Maybe someone else knows of a way to determine support for dual core with the help of OMSA or IT assistent.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 4th, 2011 19:00

Since support is always free for servers, call Dell for DC-supporting motherboards.

No Events found!