Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2019 23:00

ESXI on disk connected to a H310 mini monolithic controller in IT mode?

Hi, Can I install and run ESXI 6.5 on one of my disks connected to my H310 mini controller (IT mode) with PCI passthrough enabled in ESXI? I have an Dell r720XD LFF with a H310 mini monolithic with LSI 9211-8i P20 IT Mode. I want to run different small VM's including a Freenas VM. I just bought the H310 controller (IT Mode) to enable PCI passthrough to the Freenas. My question is if I can install ESXI on a SSD-drive connected to the H310 in IT Mode or if I should buy an additional controller for the disk running ESXI? I have the following setup: Dell r720xd LFF (12x3.5") Rear Backplane (2x2.5") This is where my SSD is connected to. H310 mini monolithic with LSI 9211-8i P20 IT Mode Thanks in advance...

2.9K Posts

May 14th, 2019 06:00

I don't have any first hand experience with the IT mode firmware experience, but I've heard that it will work with ESXi. I would hesitate to install ESXi on an SSD though, considering it can be installed on a USB or an SD card. If you don't have it, I'd still recommend getting the SD module and a SD card, so you can leave the larger storage for your VMs. 

33 Posts

May 14th, 2019 10:00

Hi Dylan, 

Thanks for your reply. I'm quite new to ESXi so thanks for your advice. I think I will get the SD card module, then. I guess this is the model number: 6YFN5? In that regards, how is the performance difference, if any, between having ESXi on a SSD or on a SD card mounted in the SD card module?

Once again, thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

2.9K Posts

May 14th, 2019 11:00

That part number is what I'm showing, too. It should be good.

As to performance, the SSD solution is going to be faster, but it's going to be in a way where it doesn't really matter. It'll boot up faster, but that's going to really be it, and ESXi boot pretty quick anyway, because it's tiny. Once it boots up, it just runs in memory and performance would be the same. Most folks that I work with install ESXi to an SD card. 

33 Posts

May 15th, 2019 02:00

Thanks a lot for your help and advice.
No Events found!