Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2013 07:00

FW update through update_firmware

I am trying to prepare FW update on Red Hat server through update_firmware command. But it is not able to recognize my BIOS vision, although I can see it using dmidecode. 

The output from update_firmware and inventory_firmware are the following: BIOS = xxxx

I tried several times to fix that by reinstall Dell SW, including removing and adding the repo (http://generallinux.com/libsmbios-errors-when-yum-update-on-dell-poweredge/) but no change.

Please help me fix that.

Thank you.

• 

8.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 08:00

What it sounds like is that it may be an issue with Libsmbios. Would you try something for me and run this command  -

yum update libsmbios

After that then try. Let me know what you see.

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 09:00

Hi Chis H,

although I had erased libsmbios and then installed it again (which should install the latest available release), I did what you asked me but no surprises here- it was not updated, as the release is the last available.

3 Posts

June 11th, 2013 00:00

Does someone have any ideas here?

I think it should work with downloading the new BIOS from Dell site, but what I am worried about is the big differences between the installed and the last available BIOS release. Current is 1.1.4, and the newest found is 6.3.0. The HW is POWEREDGE R710

No Events found!