Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2015 05:00

Fail to BOOT after BIOS update PowerEdge T110 II

DELL BIOS UPGRADE FAIL / NO BOOT / SYSTEM HEALTH INDICATOR FLASHING AMBER

• I am/was Running Windows Server 2012 Standard.
  • BIOS was 2.2.3
  • I downloaded the latest BIOS for upgrade for x64 OS (Server 2012)
  • As Administrator I ran the program T110-II_BIOS_G8T83_WN64_2.8.0.EXE obtained from the DELL URL Drivers and downloads for PowerEdge T110 II BIOS Version 2.8.0
  • All  went well and was informed that I would be logged off in less than 1 minute.
  • The Server restarted. All good so far!
  • I powered off the Server. (pulled the power plug for a cold boot) as instructed.

Expecting the BIOS to now be version 2.8.......

• Plugged in the power chord
  • The Server started normally
  • I noticed that the BIOS was still 2.2.3.
  • OK, so I logged in as Administrator and ran the procedure again, as you do.
  • I followed the bouncing ball, again.
  • I was logged off, as before and the server restarted.
  • I powered off again. ( pulled the power plug).
  • Plugged in the power chord

This is where is the part where it all turns bad

• Diagnostic lights 1,3,4 are on for a LONG time,
  • The the HDD activity indicator comes on and then off (the HDD is spinning up),
  • Then a Burst from the CPU FAN to full speed, then slowly to very quiet, fan is turning as I can feel air coming out of the CPU heat sink.
  • The 1,3,4 lights go out,
  • The System Health indicator comes on steady BLUE for 10 seconds and it turns AMBER and flashes.
  • Power button light remains on, it does not work (no power down when pressed).
  • I must remove the power chord to start the procedure all over again.
  • Cycle repeats as before
  • There is nothing on the video display, no beeps, no BOOT.

Everything was normal and working before the BIOS flash "update/fail"

HELP!

Is there a backup BIOS (second copy) is there a "jumper" that will help me out here, or do I have a DELL T110 II "paper weight" now?

Thanks in advance.

Rodney

• 

8.4K Posts

July 10th, 2015 09:00

Rodney.Bunt,

It may have caused an issue with the motherboard, but we can try a couple things to see if it happens to recover. First off lets take the server to the minimum hardware to post, that is removing everything from the server but the following; 

• System Board
  • Processor with Heatsink
  • 1 DIMM in slot 1
  • Power Supply
  • Control Panel and Cable 

After removing everything then remove the power cord. Depress the power button for about 10 seconds, this is to drain the flea power from the server. After that then locate the NVRam jumper, which is label #21 on the motherboard diagram shown below. 

Upon locating the jumper on the motherboard, move it over to clear the NVram. After the jumper has been moved then power the system. Once it shows power and clears, then power back down and restore the jumper to it's original location. After all that is done then power the server and see if it will clear POST. If it doesn't, it is likely that the motherboard BIOS is corrupt.

Let me know what you see.

August 12th, 2016 12:00

Hi

I need information of other Jumper

where I find manual motherboard poweredge T110 II?

thanks

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 23:00

The IPMI controller still works.  I can ping it.  Any way to update the bios through it?

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 23:00

Same thing happened to me.  I downloaded linuxiso.iso from https://dell.app.box.com/v/BootableT110II/folder/48900478041 and after the update my screen went black and my system is bricked.  No monitor output at all and diag 1,3,4

No Events found!