Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2017 12:00

Forgotten Admin Password Need to Reset

It has been months since I have logged into my server without my password manager and I have the wrong password so I am locked out.  Anyone have help?  ASAP please.

It is a Server 2008R2

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 31st, 2017 13:00

Not really something we help with on these forums, for obvious reasons.There are ways around it, but most reputable sites won't help because they can't confirm the person asking is the rightful owner, and abuse happens a lot. Nobody is saying you are doing something wrong, but if someone stole your server, you would probably be grateful that we don't help them crack your password to access your data.

I'm guessing Dell won't help because of potential policies in place, but you would have to be able to provide the organization to whom it is registered.

March 31st, 2017 15:00

I figured as much (makes complete sense) but wanted to ask anyway.  I am out of warranty by 2 months and have a new Dell server ordered but need the data off this one.  Gonna be interesting...for sure.  I used to have a Linux disk that would change the password because this has happened before (I need more reliable records) but I cannot find it and not even sure it will work on this OS. Good times!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 1st, 2017 10:00

Even under warranty, OS password recovery doesn't really fall within the scope of Dell's support. The only "official" way to recover a password is to have created a recovery disc before having lost/forgotten it, so it's unlikely that either Microsoft or Dell would be able to help.

No Events found!