Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

5 Posts

February 27th, 2019 11:00

Help configuring memory on a T110 II donated to our Hospice

I work on electronics donated to our Hospice Thrift Store to help fund the hospice.

This is a T110 II with 8GB 1066 memory installed in 2GB sticks. OS is Win 8 Pro. 

The machine boots to windows, which shows 8GB installed, 2GB usable.

There are no memory errors on boot per the front panel lights.

Going into the set up program it shows 8GB of 1333 memory, no option to change the speed.

I've moved memory between slots with no change.

I'd appreciate some advice on next steps so I can complete preparation of this server for sale.

• 

6.2K Posts

February 27th, 2019 13:00

Hello

If you are seeing 8GB of memory listed in the OS with only 2GB usable then it is likely the OS limiting memory. If the hardware is limiting available memory then the OS would only see 2GB. You can boot to our Support Live Image to see if all of the memory is seen by that OS. Also, it should have tools like OpenManage Server Administrator that may help to locate the cause if it is hardware related.

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/enterprise-resource-center/enterprise-tools/support-live-image

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

March 6th, 2019 10:00

Our BIOS does not allow manual configuration of memory timing or speed. I don't know why it is not detecting the memory correctly. My first guess would be that it is unsupported memory.

5 Posts

March 6th, 2019 10:00

Daniel,

Thank you. My guess was that this is a settings problem. As this is a charitable donation that I need to turn into as much money as possible for the Hospice, I'd like to sell it as clean as I can, although there is a balance between time spent and additional value created.

I can certainly work my way through that, however I'm suspecting that there is a BIOS settings error that I'm not aware of that is part of the problem at least:

- Why is System Settings identifying 1066 memory as 1333?

- Why does the systems settings memory page not let me make changes?

Dave

No Events found!