Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2011 06:00

INPUT SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE

A Dell Rack-mount Console Monitor connected to an APC 8-port KVM switch displays "Input Signal Out of Range".

The switch shows that it's responding to port one but shows nothng except for the above message.

When disconnected from the switch, the monitor displays the usual message,to "check signal cable" for connection to the host.

The console keyboard connected to the same switch responds to the NUM LOCK key as the indicator LED goes on or off

when it is pressed indicating its respective state. However, other keys give a beep sound when pressed. Everything was working fine before - I'm told.

What could this situation be? Please help.

Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 08:00

With a KVM  you really will need to do some deductive troubleshooting.

If port one is the only port with the issue, check the SIP cables out, try a server that is working on the other ports, on port 1 see if the issue stays with a port or follows the server.

If it is with all ports/servers attached. Then get a known good working monitor, ensure the server has good video output. Once confirmed then plug into the KVM and test for video. If both the Rack monitor and the known good monitor have no video when plugging into the kvm, then there may be an issue with that switch. And it would need to be further troubleshot or replaced.

Keep us updated on how things pan out.

Thanks

2 Posts

October 11th, 2011 13:00

Hello,

I have the same setup for my servers and am also getting the "Input signal Out of Range" error. I purchased the KMM and KVM in November of 2010 and had lots of trouble getting it going. The setup then worked for many months, until recently... now all I am seeing on the DELL KMM monitor is the "Input Signal Out of Range" error. Have you been able to figure out how to solve this problem?

3 Apprentice

• 

944 Posts

October 11th, 2011 14:00

What most people dont know is that most SIPs for KVMs will only do 1024x768 as the max resolution. In addition, some SIPs dont respond to a resolution query correctly, they lie to the OS and state that they can handle any resolution, when in reality they cant. Then when the system tries to send a high resolution to the SIP, you get the out of range message.  First, attach a monitor directly to the server, not a sip, not a kvm, a monitor straight to the server. Assuming you get video on the monitor, lower the resolution to 800x600. Then shut down your system, disconnect your monitor and connect the SIP for the KVM connection. Power back up, and you should get video.

2 Posts

October 11th, 2011 16:00

Thank you raybeast2! I followed your instructions and my KVM setup is working now

1 Message

June 10th, 2019 11:00

Just signed up - I think.  Anyway I had this problem for 4 days, and I fixed it today and wanted to share

I had made a Guest Account

I started with starting dell...then when circle was showing with the Dell logo, I turn off the computet.  I have move the pug for the computer to a strip - so I only had to swith the strip off.

After doing this  -  it went to a screen where I could chose how to address the problem 1-9 choices.  The one I chose offered to change my display to lowest -  which I did.

Returning it only - up came my Guest account  -  In guest, you can duplicate your setting for both your account and the Guest account  -  I used 'duplicate screen 2' where my guest account setting just let me in.  Restarted computer, and now my avatar and the guest avatar were a choice to open.  I chose my own...got in and lowered everything.

Seems to have worked.  I think I still would be toast if I had not created that Guest account.

Tried to get into Safe mode...did not work (one of the 9 choices)...reset BIO  sequencing to start (I have a Dell restore stick) nothing...

Good luck to all that currently has the problem.

No Events found!