Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Message

June 10th, 2021 10:00

Installing a Non-Dell Video Card in a PowerEdge 720

I purchased a Dell PowerEdge 720 2U server (with 2 1100 W PSUs) with the intent of installing in it two NVidia Tesla K80 GPU Accelerators.  However, the Dell server does not recognize them.  In fact, it does not recognize any one of a dozen old EVGA video cards that work  in my desktop computer.  The Dell server does recognize a used Dell NVidia Quadro 2000 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Video Card.  It is my understanding that failing to recognize peripheral equipment not authorized by Dell is intended behavior on Dell's part.

Neglecting power supply issues, does anyone know of a way of circumventing Dell's restrictions on installing non-Dell video cards in its servers?   In particular, if I started with a new, unused hard disk, and installed Windows 10 on it, would that combination  allow the use of a non-Dell video card in the system?  Are there any problems associated with substituting Windows 10 for the Server 2013 O/S that came with the system?

Thank you in advance for any help you may care to provide in this matter. 

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

June 10th, 2021 15:00

Hello,

As far as I am aware, non-Dell GPUs are not blocked. I say this as someone who uses unsupported hardware in their own server, not as someone that has firmware source code access, however. Based on the link below, the K80 cards may work perfectly fine. Fortunately, "not supported" doesn't always mean "won't work." I'll have to leave the rest of your question to the community, but the thread below fully suggests to me that this can be successfully configured.

Solved: Tesla K80's in Dell R720 Server? - Dell Community

June 14th, 2021 11:00

Dell NVidia Quadro 2000 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Video Card should be perfect choice.

No Events found!