Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2015 08:00

Installing new video card in T710 PowerEdge- disable onboard VGA?

I installed a Nvidia Quadro FX 580 in my T710 this morning, I can see it in Device Manager and it says, "Device Cannot Start".  I have not yet disabled the onboard VGA adapter in the BIOS on the server and the monitor only works on my onboard VGA port...

My question is, do I just disable that onboard VGA to force it to use the card I installed?  My fear is that once I disable that onboard VGA, if the new card is not initialized I will have no active display adapter and will not be able to get back into the BIOS to re-enable the onboard VGA if there is a problem.  Is that a concern?  Or should I just go ahead and disable it?

Thanks!

HisboyElroy

• 

8.5K Posts

April 20th, 2015 06:00

His Boy Elroy,

Disabling the embedded video for a 3rd party card isn't supported. That is due to the lack of testing, as well as a lose of access to the iDrac and BIOS, both of which use the embedded video. That being said there is a good post that goes into the process of disabling, as well as couple suggestions on cards here. It also addresses the concern you have about disabling the embedded video, which if the card isn't initialized the video controller disable will be grayed out.

Let me know if this helps.

No Events found!