Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2016 06:00

Internal Hard Drive inside Dell PowerEdge R710

Okay so to clarify before anything. This server is NOT being used in a business environment. Its literally being used as a home Media Server (yes, way overkill I know but i got it for free so whos complaining).

Im currently using a PowerEdge 2950 as my home media server, I have just picked up its upgrade, a R710 Gen 2 and I would like to use all 6 bays at the front for hard drives that I can put media onto rather than 1 for the os and then all the rest for media.

How would I go about installing an internal hard drive, preferably an SSD, inside the R710. I know it has a spare SATA Data port but I cant seem to see any spare power cables or molex cables like there is in the 2950 Gen 3 that I have.

If it is not possible, thats totally fine but I would like to have installed an internal drive.

I know there is a USB port but I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 (Probably soon to be Server 2016) but i am unsure if Windows Server can be installed to the internal USB.

If you need specs, or the service tag i can give you that information!

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arron

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 16:00

Thanks for the clarification. It is something that you can try but it is not supported and there is no guarantee that the SSD will be detected and that it will work fine. Try this cable of P/N GP700

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 15:00

Hello.

How would I go about installing an internal hard drive, preferably an SSD, inside the R710. I know it has a spare SATA Data port but I cant seem to see any spare power cables or molex cables like there is in the 2950 Gen 3 that I have.

I am not quite sure whether I have got you well. The server comes with a backplane and the hard drives are hot swap. They are installed into the drive bays using either 2.5" or 3.5" carriers depending on the backplane configuration. To use SSD, you require either PERC 6/i or H700 controller.

17 Posts

What I was trying to ask (terrible explanation by me lol) was is there a way to put an SSD inside the server as in under the chassis cover and leave the front 6 drive bays (3.5inch HDD Model) for 4TB WD Red drives for media.

The server has a H700 so no worries about drive compatibility. I just wondered if there was a way to have (technically 7 hard drives). 1 SSD inside under the chassis cover and the 6 hotswap in the front as this would then allow me to have 6 4TB WD Red in Raid 5.

Apologies for the awful explanation lol.

Thanks,

Arron

17 Posts

Thank you for that!

I will try and get my hands on one and try it out!

Thanks,

Arron

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 7th, 2016 07:00

Keep us in the loop and let us know how it does.

5 Posts

November 27th, 2016 22:00

Where can the GP700 be purchased?

TIA

1 Message

April 12th, 2017 10:00

How did this work out for you? We're facing a similar need. Please take a moment to let us know.

20 Posts

August 21st, 2020 10:00

I'm looking to do the same thing.  Have R710 with PERC 700 and 6 hard drive RAID.  Instead of replacing 1 or 2 hard drives with SSD's, would prefer to add in internet SSD using the free SATA.  Is there a list of compatible SSD drives ?  Also, using UBUNTU 20.04.

Thanks.

• 

3.3K Posts

August 21st, 2020 11:00

Hello sscotti,

The system will support PCIe, SATA and SAS SSD drive:

Example-

1XF66 -Controller Card, SSD Controller, 1.21TB, PCIe, Half Height Half Length

9T0ND -SSD, 800GB, SATA, 2.5 inch

DPF1J  -SSD, 800GB, SAS, 2.5 inch

If your drive bays are 2.5" then you will need a drive with carrier.

If your drive bays are 3.5" you'll need the drive, carrier and adapter 2.5" to 3.5".

(The carriers and adapter are only available from Dell as a customer kit option with drive purchase)

Sales could quote you other capacities if needed and ask for customer kit to include carrier/adapter.

I hope this helps.

20 Posts

August 21st, 2020 22:00

Seems like there would be less expensive options.  There are four PCI 2.0 slots.  It would probably be an unsupported solution, but there must be a way to use either those or the vacant or used SATA slots to support one of the. many inexpensive SSD drives that are available.  I'd rather use one of those slots (the PCI) than one of the drive bays.

• 

3.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2020 20:00

Hi,

Dell -Charles R did mention about PCIe SSD. Though, it would not be possible if you're looking into using the onboard SATA. As the system is only configured to use either the RAID controllers, simultaneous usage is not possible. Some users successfully use M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe adapter, but it's not a verified test hardware on R710, so I would not be able to provide a solid answer that it would definitely work.

20 Posts

August 24th, 2020 09:00

Thanks.  The server is just a server that I use at home for development, not a production server.  If it is possible to pull out the PERC and then just mount drives as individual drives (are those still SATA), or then get a PCIe card with an SSD.  Just looking for options.  I really don't need the RAID.  I would be happy with 2 1TB SSD's, one for the sytem and one for a backup.  I could use some of the existing HDD for long-term backup and data.

Lastly, the performance seems a little pokey compared to my iMac.  I am using GNOME Desktop manager on the server as well, for convenience sometimes.  In the future would probably just manage by FTP and SSH.  Would adding a better graphics card and the SSD make it more useable as far as the GUI is concerned ?

2.9K Posts

August 24th, 2020 10:00

Hello,

If you're able to get a GPU functioning, then I'd expect that it would likely help. However, there are no GPUs that I could recommend trying and none were validated for use with the model. I've seen far more issues with using video cards, than I have successes. As far as an SSD improving GUI performance, I doubt it. It might feel like it because your file manager will access data more quickly, but the only difference I'd expect to see is in the time it takes to load.

One issue you'll run into adding a GPU is power. I'd make sure to look at only low power cards that will be able to satisfy their power requirements from just the PCI connector, because there wouldn't be an auxiliary power cable you could use to power the card.

1 Message

May 22nd, 2021 13:00

Hi, Would this cable work for R810 as well?  Where can it be purchased?

Thanks

• 

3.6K Posts

May 23rd, 2021 18:00

Hello, thanks for choosing Dell, could you state your issues one more time here in detail once again? Did you mean to install a GPU card? 

No Events found!