Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2020 04:00

Is X7C1K compatible with T620?

I'm going to buy a refurbished T620 and want to use GPUs on it. I read about that this needs a small board (VDY5T) for GPU power supply. I've searched over eBay and this part is quite hard to find. Meanwhile I also found that T630 also has a similar power supply board (X7C1K), which looks quite alike VDY5T but usually much cheaper.

So I wonder if X7C1K is compatible with T620. It will be appreciated if someone can give an official answer or speak from expirence.

Thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2020 09:00

Lisu60,

Unfortunately the X7C1K is not compatible in the T620, as it looks to be for 13th and 14th generations. What you would need is part # VDY5T (PIB Interposr card) as well as 3692K (GPU Power cable). I couldn't give you any guarantee that X7C1K would work or not, as it isn't supported, so it would be based on trial and error to see if it works or not.

Let me know what you see.

April 4th, 2020 15:00

did you end up testing this? @lisu60 

3 Posts

April 4th, 2020 15:00

Not yet. Just received T620, but still waiting GPU power cable from China.

April 10th, 2020 09:00

Please update this with the results when you findout! @lisu60 

April 27th, 2020 20:00

Checking in to see if this worked. From what I could see, same looking board layouts. Its a dumb power device so im hopeful it worked for you.

May 11th, 2020 14:00

I am about to buy one of these cards and check if it is compatible.

3 Posts

May 19th, 2020 02:00

Hi everyone! I'm here to update @serverdude21 @Cornholio68 

Finally received everything yesterday, and tried several things out.

So first thing is putting the board in position. 

This is where it to be installed:

PIB slot

And this is how it looks in position:

PIB installed

PS: Actually I'm not sure how the actual VDY5T (the officially designated PIB for T620) is supposed to be installed in this slot, since the blue button of the release pin is located on the back side (as in this and this ) from some listings I found.

Hook up the cables:

PIB with cables

These cables I'm using are for some modular ATX power supply. They haven't shown any problem so far with X7C1K, and are much cheaper than 3692K.

Next I tried to install some GPU.

My first try was GTX-660 Ti. It's powered by 2x6-pin power plug. I used 2 plugs from one single cable ,i.e. one single outlet out of four outlets of the PIB. When I tried to boot, iDRAC showed "PSU overcurrent" error, and both PSUs started to flash amber. (Just came to me while writing this, maybe I should try connecting 2 separate outlets to this one GPU later.) 

Later I tried GTX-1060, powered by 1x8-pin power plug. It booted into a live CD successfully, and I was able to see it by running lspci command. I'd say it's successful, though I didn't further test anything on it.

So in conclusion, X7C1K can be physically installed into T620, and at least is providing correct voltages on the power outlets. There might be some problems with supplying currents, yet I'm not sure if the problem is with this PIB or something else.

If you have any idea on the overcurrent issue, please let me know, and I'd like to test further.

Cheers

3 Posts

May 19th, 2020 07:00

Good job. That's such a better solution than the one I had to do using the R610. 

June 27th, 2020 18:00

I got my X7C1K for my T620, I should mentioned I upgraded first my Power supply for 1100 W, my server came with two 750 W model, after that I installed the card and a cable, and reboot with no issues, in my case I am only adding a GPU (ordered), I will update as soon as I get the setup running.

2 Posts

July 10th, 2020 18:00

Hi,

we installed the 0X7C1K module on a T630 server and got the message:

An over current fault detected on power supply 2.
An over current fault detected on power supply 1.

we are using 2x1100-Watt Power Supply Unit and a GPU NVIDIA RTX-6000 .
Could you please let me know how/if you solved this problem?
Can you share tricks on how to successfully install this GPU kit on a T620,T630 or T640?

Regards,

Nick

2 Posts

July 11th, 2020 03:00

Hi, did you solve the overcurrent issue eventually? I have the same problem... please let us know!

Nick

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

we installed the 0X7C1K module on a T630 server and got the message:

An over current fault detected on power supply 2.
An over current fault detected on power supply 1.

we are using 2x1100-Watt Power Supply Unit and a GPU NVIDIA RTX-6000 .
Could you please let me know how/if you solved this problem?
Can you share tricks on how to successfully install this GPU kit on a T620,T630 or T640?

Regards,

Nick

• 

2.1K Posts

July 13th, 2020 03:00

Hello,
I cannot officially display the RTX6000 T630 is available. Here you can see that the T630 cannot be displayed among compatible models for RTX6000 https://dell.to/3em6zqY
You can check the supported GPU models for T630 here https://dell.to/38RUcSr

I think this incompatibility issue caused that. I did research a lot but honestly didn't find out any workaround.
If somebody had a chance to try it, they can share how they got results.
I can advise you to check update of iDRAC, BIOS, and PSUs firmware versions up to date https://dell.to/2Cw8ziS

3 Posts

January 25th, 2021 20:00

Ok, so I have been trying to dig into getting the enablement kit for my T620 for a while.

I bought the dual 1100w psu's, I am going to order X7C1K and 4x DRXPD after seeing this, but am wondering if I should go a head and add the fan gantry as well? And add the GPU Card holders (if I can find the part numbers for the holders).. 

I'm only planning on adding two gpus, mainly because I need to add another perc h710p. I just wish I could use the other two power outputs for another drive cage. I'm thinking about adding two 12v to 5v blocks and pulling power from this card.

• 

3.6K Posts

January 25th, 2021 22:00

Hi, may I direct you to a couple of previous posts we had before:

https://dell.to/3orpYvL

https://dell.to/3octObS

NOTE:
You must select the GPU enablement kit at point of sale to install GPU or keep the system's GPGPU capability. GPU enablement kit is not upgradable after point of sales.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2021 15:00

Is it possible to get a parts guide for the T620?

Is there any other way of getting sata power from the power distribution board or does it have to come from the backplane?

No Events found!