Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

29 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 09:00

Is there a way to schedule coldboots on a Dell Poweredge 620

Hello,

I have a number of T620s - they randomly slow to a grinding halt even with no unusual services using up processing power.    I have verified with 3 other colleaques who have the same issues with their clients with the 620 servers.   No similar issues with 2900s, 710s, 630s or 640s - just the 620 units have this issue.   I support about 100 servers and each of my colleagues support an average of 100 servers as well - almost all dell.  Have applied each firmware/bios update for these units as well as all drive updates with suu.   I've had dell study the issue, they even replaced every part in one of my 620s and they have no explanation or fix.   The only solution is to go into the idrac and force a cold boot.    A warm boot does NOT solve the issue - even after reboot it is slow as molasses - only on coldboot does it respond normally so it isn't anything in the OS that is causing the issue.    If I could somehow auotmate a coldboot every night that would probably solve the issue.

Is there a way to automate a cold boot?   Possibly a command line from another system to the idrac?

I just had the issue again - sometimes it can go months between the event - sometimes just days.    I checked processor utilization on the host about 30% on average, network utilization barely any and barely any disk utilization.    I'll warmboot it - and it will again be about 30%, very little network or disk activity but if I click on anything or try to open task manage it could take a minute just to open.   I cold boot it and processor stays at about 30%, barely any disk or network activity but suddenly it is very snappy and works smooth as can be.   I have this on multiple 620's - no issues with any of the other dell servers.

29 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 11:00

Thanks - Between the lot of us we have 3 different controllers several of each type so I don't think that is it.

My choice is racadm serveraction hardreset - I'll give it a try tonight.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2019 11:00

Hello

You could use a task scheduler to send remote racadm commands to the iDRAC. You can find more information about racadm in the manual on the iDRAC support page. It looks like firmware version 2.60 has the latest manuals.

http://www.dell.com/idracmanuals/

racadm help serveraction

It sounds like a cache or volatile memory issue. It could be almost any hardware or software. My first guess would be system storage. I suggest checking to see what storage controller and RAID level the system is using. I suggest also reviewing all available hardware and software logs. If none of that helps shed light on the issue then you will need to start reducing the configuration to eliminate potential issues. This would include stopping software from running, disconnecting hardware, etc. Using some kind of performance testing software may help locate the problem. You can also run diagnostics on the hardware.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

No Events found!