Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2015 19:00

License Self-Service Portal gone? (dell.com/support/retail/lkm doesn't work anymore!)

I'm trying to buy/apply an iDRAC7 Enterprise license to my R320 server (currently only have "Basic Management"). However, when I click on "To manage changes to or purchase new licenses visit the License Self-Service Portal" in the iDRAC web interface, or open the link to www.dell.com/support/retail/lkm mentioned in the various iDRAC7 licensing manuals, it always redirects to the "Retail Registration" page for Dell.

Where is the License Self-Service Portal, it used to be there in the past?

Thanks

1 Message

December 16th, 2015 10:00

I'm having the exact same issue... Did you ever figure it out?  Is there no way to buy the licenses online anymore?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 16th, 2015 12:00

"eBay" ... "from Hong Kong". Almost certain to be fraudulent.

Not sure what has changed to make this so hard.

3 Posts

December 16th, 2015 12:00

In my case, I was unable to buy a license through official channels so I bought a license and card from an Ebay seller from Hong Kong. The license file (XML file) I received is genuine and works as intended, it seems to be a "transferable" license. But of course with Ebay there is always a risk. One thing I would auggest you try is to install the Dell OpenManage License Manager, I think it is the tool that replaced (?) the Self-Service Portal. In my case (I'm in Europe) this also did not work, but it might for US customers. Also, for US customers you might be able to buy the license in the online store directly, it is listed.

If that does work, use the pre-sales chat function (hidden somewhere on the store website) to talk to an actual human being or call Dell and order by phone. Of course that also didn't work for me but you might give it a try.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2015 05:00

I see why you would think that, given that serial numbers and counterfeit phyaical items are often sold.

However, an iDRAC7 license file is basically a certificate cryptographically signed by Dell, and registered for a specific chassis number. Unless you are the NSA/CIA or there is a serious flaw in Dell's implementation, you will not be able to generate a license without paying Dell, so I very much doubt it is fraudulent.

It is much more likely that Dell allows resellers to purchase these at lower prices abroad, and these resellers take advantage of that by selling back to US customers.

Aside from the above, I agree that Dell is making it unnecessarily hard to buy a license. Good luck!

No Events found!