Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

7 Posts

November 30th, 2022 11:00

Linux Kernel Configuration: INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE not set

Hi

On two different Dell PowerEdge server configurations (a R740 with two 2nd gen XSP 8226 and a XR11 with a single 3rd gen XPS 5317), both reinstalled from scratch with a vanilla Debian 11 (kernel 5.10) and a vanilla Ubuntu 20.04.5 (kernel 5.4), I was not able to get the intel-speed-select utility working to investigate how the CPU core frequencies are configured.

In both Debian 11 and Ubuntu 20.04.5, the intel-speed-select utility was not installed and I compiled ot from sources. When I run it I get in all cases:

$ sudo ./intel-speed-select --help
Intel(R) Speed Select Technology
Executing on CPU model:106[0x6a]
Intel speed select drivers are not loaded on this system.
Verify that kernel config includes CONFIG_INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE.
If the config is included then this is not a supported platform.

On Debian 11,

$ grep INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE /boot/config-$(uname -r)
# CONFIG_INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE is not set

On Ubuntu 20.04.5,

$ grep CONFIG_INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE /boot/config-5.4.0-132-generic                                                                                     
CONFIG_INTEL_SPEED_SELECT_INTERFACE=m

Both servers are configured in the BIOS such that all fancy Intel CPU options are enabled.

So... how do I get the intel-speed-select utility working without having to recompile the whole kernel?

Has someone some experience with it?

Many thanks for any help.

December 1st, 2022 03:00

Hello.

Ubuntu Server 20.04 is in the list of supported OS ; so part of my question is in the official scope.

Moreover it is an Dell OEM development for which there is no list of officially supported OS.

• 

3.6K Posts

December 1st, 2022 03:00

Hello thanks for choosing Dell. I'm afraid this is the list of the supported OS' only.

https://dell.to/3FhaG8d

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

December 1st, 2022 07:00

Hello @EajksEajks,

I suggest you wait for a Debian & Linux expert from the Community to step in and help you with your question regarding the intel-speed-select utility.

Regards.

December 1st, 2022 07:00

Hello @DiegoLopez 

For sure but I don't understand why you keep mentionning Debian when I have the issue with both Debian and Ubuntu Server 20.04, the later one being officially supported by Dell Technologies on its PowerEdge family. It would be nice if someone from Dell Technologies could help me having it working at least on Ubuntu, wouldn't it ?

Regards.

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

December 1st, 2022 09:00

Oh sorry @EajksEajks, I didn't mean to specifically say Debian above Ubuntu. Dell has OS experts, and you can contact with them.

First, you need to make sure your server is still in warranty, and also, that the OS was bought as an OME license. If that's the case, you can contact with phone support and ask for your case to be escalated to the Dell OS department.

That way you could use the help from our OS department with your question.

Regards.

No Events found!