Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 20th, 2004 15:00

Need help with configuring PowerEdge 4600

Hi all.

I'm dusting off a PowerEdge 4600 that hasn't been used for several months. When I power it up, I get an "Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program" message while it is initializing the ESM/backplane. Then it displays my two CPUs and hangs.

I've tried F2 and F10 during the boot process. The screen does show "entering setup" or "entering utility", but never actually goes to either function.

What do I need to do to get the system booting again? I'm not concerned with preserving the existing RAID configuration. I have a 7.x server assistant disc and I want to reload the system.

Thanks.

153 Posts

February 20th, 2004 17:00

Unplug system from AC input.  Hold power button for 30 seconds.  Plug AC inputs back in.  Wait one minute.  Turn on server, press F2.

That should do it.  Also, if you have a PCI DRAC card in slot 1, remove it.... that can couse them to hang sometimes.

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2004 11:00

Thanks, Quino. Unfortunately, my server is resisting your instructions.

Any other tips?

February 23rd, 2004 20:00

Hi,

It sounds like your system's NVRAM configuration needs to be reset.  Normally, this can be done through the System Setup program; however, since System Setup cannot be accessed, I'd recommend following the below instructions to perform a manual reset of the NVRAM:

1.  Power down the system and remove power.  Allow the system to sit for 30 seconds to ensure power is properly drained from the motherboard.
2.  On the motherboard is a bank of jumper pins.  Jumper the two pins that say NVRAM_CLR.  The location of these pins is identified in the documentation link I provided above.
3.  Power the system back up for just a couple seconds, then power back down, remove power cords, and allow the system to sit 30 seconds.
4.  Take the jumper off NVRAM_CLR and replace to its original position.

No Events found!