geeksinthewild
1 Nickel

New power Edge T710 with Redundant 1100 Power Supply's - Fans wind up and down (no load in very cool room) - alternating between PS'

What gives?

Dell support says this is by design to prolong fan life.  This unit will drive the users in the environment nuts. 

This with no load ( sitting in the BIOS) and in a 68 degree F room.

Anyone have an idea if thsi is really how the system should be?

Sounds like a plane on the tarmack: Winds up then down up and down.

What are the odds of returning the unit to Dell? It was delivered by fed-ex on Friday 8-OCT-2010. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: New power Edge T710 with Redundant 1100 Power Supply's - Fans wind up and down (no load in very cool room) - alternating between PS'

you have 30 days-ish for a return ( I think)... As far as the fans have you tried updating the firmware, just because it is new does not mean it has all current FW. After that try to see if it is one fan or all fans...

0 Kudos
geeksinthewild
1 Nickel

Re: New power Edge T710 with Redundant 1100 Power Supply's - Fans wind up and down (no load in very cool room) - alternating between PS'

There was a bios and iDRAC update.  Still the Emerson Power Supply's run up and alternate.  It is how they work.

I bet others will have acoustic environment issues with this..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ceo_someday
1 Nickel

RE: New power Edge T710 with Redundant 1100 Power Supply's - Fans wind up and down (no load in very cool room) - alternating between PS'

This scares me because I have the same problem.  Did you figure this out?  I only have a single PSU, but it runs up and back down every 5 seconds or so.  The question is, could we put a quieter running fan on the PSU?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos

RE: New power Edge T710 with Redundant 1100 Power Supply's - Fans wind up and down (no load in very cool room) - alternating between PS'

This issue has actually been seen on the Emerson power supplies for the T710, part numbers 1Y45R and 3MJJP.

There are firmware updates available to resolve the fan issue that can be found depending on the part number of your Emerson power supply.

1Y45R Firmware Update:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-t710?driverId=N3WRV&osC...

3MJJP Firmware Update:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-t710?driverId=YRWVK&osC...

0 Kudos
ceo_someday
1 Nickel

Awesome.  I'll check mine as soon as I get to the office.  Thanks for the reply.  *fingers crossed*

0 Kudos
ceo_someday
1 Nickel

I have the TCVRR part number so the firmware updates were not compatible.  I have another power supply on the way.  If this power supply continues to run up and down, it would seem like the firmware is programmed to make the fans run that way.  Some would consider this "optimizing the power supply's cooling ability."  I don't think it is needed.  I would have thought the rate of the fans would be linked to temperature?  The only logical conclusion then would be to consider going to a quieter 40mm fan on the power supplies.  Doable, but still a pain.  Not to mention, that's shelling out more money for a server that is supposed to be able to function in a "work environment."

Another option (if I had it) is controlling the frequency at which the fans run up.  Does anybody know of any software that could regulate this.  I have iDRAC6 Express, but i'm sure that doesn't allow you to control fan rates?  No?

0 Kudos