Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2003 19:00

PE2400 video upgrade with Geforce4 - help please

Hi,

I have purchased 2 Geforce4 MX440-SE video cards to upgrade my 2400 to a dual display system.

I can't get the cards to work. I have tried them both individually, but no joy. The machine powers but the display is blank, and I get 2 beeps (i take it these are the POST diagnostic beeps. These do not happen immediately on power up, but after the floppy/cdroms etc. have all been probed.

I have also tried the cards in different PCI slots but still no difference

Can anybody please advise.

Thanks,

Dave

4 Posts

January 6th, 2004 14:00

Well, it must have been a compatibility problem with that particular card type.

I successfully managed to install 2 x AOpen GeForce FX5200 DDR 128MB PCI video cards into the poweredge 2400. No requirement to mess around with the RCU program or change anything in the bios.

All working under win2k3_ent with each display set for 1280x1024 which is optimum resolution for the 2 19" Philips LCD's that the cards are driving.

This has turned into a formidable server with its 2x1.4GHz tualatins and dual head graphics, a great programming machine.

What will i do to it next???? I know, get rid of the noise of the fans!

Dave

111 Posts

January 12th, 2004 14:00

Dave:

My two cents says the GEforce was the wrong voltage.  I installed a GEForce card in a Precision Workstation 360 (W2K) and it would boot to a screen sometimes.  Other times it would turn all the little green lights orange on the motherboard (or Green orange orange green).  Called Dell and they determined the voltage was slightly different from the original video card 3.5 v verses 5.5v or something like that.

111 Posts

February 19th, 2004 18:00

Dave:

I had a similar issue trying to put a GeForce card off the shelf in a Precision W/S 360.  It would boot up and then not again and all the LEDs in the back would not be Green.  Finally determined that the voltage requirement was different for the card than was supplied by the AGP slot.  I know you are talking about PCI, but I am sure the same principles should apply.

No Events found!