Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

LD

November 11th, 2005 14:00

PE2650 Embedded Server Management Error

Rebooted an older 2650 yesterday and am not getting the dreaded message about Embedded Server Management Error, plus I have to  press F1 to get it to continue to boot. I've read the KB articles about why the fans are going at top speed. I've also update the BIOS to A20 as well as the ESM firmware to no effect. In one discussion, a writer speaks about disabling the ESM card. As this server has no service contract, this looks to be my only option. Can anyone instruct me on how to disable it? Thanks in advance!
Lee

1 Message

January 25th, 2006 04:00

I too got the same problem what to do please help me

February 8th, 2009 20:00

l note your post was back in 2005 but did you ever find out anything about that dreaded message Embedded Server Management Error??? My 2650 was ok to begin with but I have 6G memory recognised in Bios coming up as only 256M available pre boot.... and i think there is a connection with this ESM error - everything else works fine.

5 Posts

March 17th, 2009 13:00

If the server only reports 256M available more than likely the BIOS is set for "OS install mode" try disabling that option. I think its in there for NT 4 and win 2k problems with large amounts of memory.

June 16th, 2009 01:00

Thanks

I didnt realise I had a reply to my message until now!! I think I must have set it to install OS install mode and then some time later changed it back because I got around the 256M memory problem and the system reported the 6G correctly but unfortunately I am still getting the dreaded Embedded Server Management Error. I have just been spending some more time with the system and was going to use it for a dedicated job anyway (all scsi drives work perfectly anyway):emotion-1:. You wouldnt have any suggestions about the ESME... pain though?

9 Posts

June 26th, 2009 04:00

Check the solution of the above given post at under given URL. I hope you will find a better help there about the servers;

http://www.itoperationz.com/2009/06/poweredge-2650-esm-embedded-server-management-error/

61 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 14:00

Have you tried replacing the riser card? I think the esm may be stored on the riser?

You should match the part number of the riser card, all the 2650 riser cards are not the same.

If you need parts check out www.velocitytechsolutions.com

Good Luck!

9 Posts

November 24th, 2009 22:00

http://www.itoperationz.com/2009/06/poweredge-2650-esm-embedded-server-management-error/

9 Posts

February 9th, 2010 01:00

Check this post, I am sure this will help you. I was having the same problem and I tried the method given in this post to repair the firmware and it was successfull.

http://www.itoperationz.com/2010/02/poweredge-2650-esm4-error-embedded-server-management/

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 21st, 2011 09:00

This error can typically be resolved by one, some, or all of the following (when the server stops POST with the error):

• Reseat the riser (which contains the ESM)
  • Clear the NVRAM using the jumpers on the motherboard
  • Replacing the riser

If the server completes POST notwithstanding the error message, then you may be able to simply update the ESM/BMC firmware.

I have not reviewed the content of the link previously supplied, so I cannot comment on its fix:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:C8NZJyrit0YJ:www.sizledcore.com/2009/06/poweredge-2650-esm-embedded-server-management-error/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

39 Posts

Why don't people PLEASE "include the article/post" - not just a LINK - because the LINK IS NOW BROKEN, and yet I am having this same issue - since the link is no longer good, I have no solution.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

They don't include the content of the article, because that entails much more work ... especially when it includes copying links, etc.  Copying the body of an article into a post is not standard fare on any Internet forum.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 13th, 2012 23:00

Good to hear!

1 Message

April 13th, 2012 23:00

Re-seating the riser did the trick for me.  Thanks!

4 Posts

June 20th, 2012 16:00

I also had the same problem just this week. Server sitting there for years no problem, scheduled reboots every weekend, suddenly starts to prompt for F1.

Watching the boot sequence showed a fleeting ERA error at the very start.

Reseated theRiser card today & bingo, no more F1 !!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 20th, 2012 23:00

Glad it worked for you.

No Events found!