Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2011 08:00

PE2950 and Hyper-V

I have a PE 2950 that is several years old.  Is there a way to check if it supports virtualiation required for Hyper-V without shutting dow the server?

Thanks,
Joe

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 19th, 2011 09:00

The 2950 itself does, and I believe all the processors that were configurable in it do as well, but to check:

• Look up the exact processor model (or post it here)
  • Run CPU-z to see if your processor supports it
  • See if it is already Enabled in the BIOS (or enable-able) through the OpenManage software (System, Main System Chassis, BIOS, Setup tab).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 20th, 2011 08:00

Checking the BIOS will definitely work ... you said you wanted to know without rebooting the server :)

Anyway ... yes, that would confirm it is ready to go for Hyper-V (provided you turn it on :)).

The 2850 didn't ship with any processor (nor is it upgradeable to any processor) that supports VT.

22 Posts

April 20th, 2011 08:00

The BIOS on both my 2950's show CPU Virtulation as an option, although both are currently disabled.  I take this as evidence that both servers will support Hyper-V.  Similarly, it seems my 2850 does NOT support Hyper-V.

Thanks for your help.
Joe

5 Posts

May 3rd, 2015 12:00

Not wishing to drag up an old thread, but I too am having this issue with my PE2950. Hyper-V was and still is enabled in the BIOS, the only change made that I can think of is I have updated the BIOS to version 2.7.0

Anyone have any ideas?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2015 22:00

WHAT issue are you having?

5 Posts

May 4th, 2015 13:00

I am not able to run any hyper-v virtual machines (windows 7 os for eg)

I am running windows server 2012R2 with hyper v installed and enabled in the BIOS.

When I click start to start windows 7 I get the error " Virtual Machine Windows 7 cannot be started because the hypervisor is not running"

This was all fine, until I updated the BIOS and RAID controller.

I've checked the openmanage application and it shows the BIOS has hyper-v enabled.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 4th, 2015 15:00

You should be looking for VT to be enabled in the BIOS, not Hyper-V ... just checking.

Are the Hyper-V services running?

What was the version of the BIOS before you updated? After? Did you also update the ESM/BMC? Check for updated chipset drivers?

5 Posts

May 5th, 2015 03:00

Sorry for the confusion, without looking at the BIOS I could not recall the exact name.

I can confirm that VT is enabled in the BIOS.

Hyper-V services are installed and running on the OS.

I don't recall the older version of the BIOS prior to my update, I can only confirm the latest version. I can confirm that prior to me updating, I had no issues running any virtualization in this OS.

I will double check to see if the latest versions are installed of EMS/BMC as far as I am aware, all chipset drivers are up to date. This is something I will confirm shortly.

Thanks for the help so far. It's a niggle I just can't scratch at this point.

5 Posts

May 5th, 2015 14:00

BMC is currently 2.50

No Events found!