Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2009 12:00

POWEREGE 2650 NO POWER LED, BOTH POWER SUPPLIES FINE, NO CONTROL PANEL DISPLAY MSG. HELP PLEASE

Have a poweredge 2650 that had been running rock solid but came in this morning and server was on but no POST, no NOTHING.  Both redundant power supplies LED's show good.  The front panel LCD has nothing in it, just a blank blue readout (normally just says DELL PE2650).  I've reseated memory, fans, and VRU's, power supplies, control panel, cleared the bios with jumper.  If I push the power button (even though it is not lit up), the jet engine fans spin up but never "spin down" signalling the unit is normally going to post from there.   Raid drive lights come on but that's it.  NO POST, nothing.  I'm in a bad situation and need to get this server going.  Also, if the unit is dead, can I just pull the raid drives (3 of them - Raid 5 configured) out of this system, and put them in another completely identical 2650 and boot up and go from there.  I don't want to kill the data on the drives so some insight on that possibility would be greatly appreciated as well.  Thank you for your time!

Mike Abell

IT Manager

Kingston

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

3 Posts

November 17th, 2009 06:00

Thanks for the reply.  I see where there "should be" a power button on the mother board ( there's a label on the PCB labeled "power switch" but there is nothing soldered on the motherboard at that location.  Is there somewhere else I could force it to turn on without using the control panel.   Is it possible the machine would not post if the control panel is dead?  I mean, with everthing hooked up,  the control panel LCD "does" light up but there's no wording in it at all (It's just a blank blue-lit LCD).  And there is no "light" on the power button as normal.  I can indeed still turn it on in this state with the power button but it just revs the fan at that "high speed" setting and never POSTS so I just shut it back down.  Thanks for your reply.  Do you have any insight into my other suggestion that I might be able to take my 3 raid drives out and put them in an identical 2650 and boot back up? 

Mike...

53 Posts

November 17th, 2009 06:00

Mike,

Have you tried diconnecting the control panel cable and using the power button on the motherboard.

Button should be found at bottom right hand side of board (when looking from the front).

If this works then your control panel is the issue.

M@l

3 Posts

November 17th, 2009 07:00

Thanks,

I'll try the control panel swap first and if that doesn't work I'm going to do the drive swapout with the other server.  The raid controllers in both are the Perc 3/Di.  The motherboard revs are not the same but I'm hoping that Windows Server 2003 will "fix" itself assuming I can get it to boot.  I'm assuming the "raid configuration" is stored on the drives themselves correct, not in bios?  One thing I didn't mention however was that even though the system doesn't post, after about 60 seconds, the Embedded remote acccess screen does come up but it sits at "initializing" the whole time.   I don't know if that's good or bad.  Thanks for your help and insight!

Mike...

53 Posts

November 17th, 2009 07:00

Mike,

If there is no power button on the board then there is no other way of turning on the system apart from the normal power button on the front.

If you try moving the disks - remember to label them so you put them into the same slots in the spare server.

Does the other server have the same type of raid controller? Is it a perc 3/Di?

Drive roaming is supported on this type of perc.

It's probably too late to ask about backups now as you cannot get into the system now but it would be good if you have one.

You could also try using the control panel and cable from the spare server in the downed one and see if you get any activity.

M@l

53 Posts

November 17th, 2009 08:00

The Bios revision should not affect it but I am hoping your perc 3/Di firmware revisions are the same on both systems as this might cause an issue with the OS.

If an ERA error comes up on the LCD then the system board and the embedded remote access controller is probably the issue, but still rule out the control panel anyway.

1 Message

January 14th, 2010 09:00

I walked in this morning to find my server in a condition identical to the one you've described.  I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem?  Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you,

Scott

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2010 22:00

You should be able to put the drives in the exact same order into another 2650 and be ok - if they are identical, including firmware, as has been eluded to here.  You may run into issues if the motherboard "rev's" are so different that one has a 400MHz FSB and the other a 533MHz FSB as this system was upgraded mid-life.

I have not seen it mentioned in here anywhere ... did you reseat the riser?  The riser contains the ESM hardware, which controls output to the LCD, fan speed, and you mentioned it was hanging at that point.  There will be a release lever along the rear left wall of the chassis.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

No Events found!