Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2015 18:00

Power Edge T620 BIOS update and fans

Last weekend, I updated the BIOS on a PE T620 server running Windows Small Business Server 2011 (installed by Dell) from v1.3.6 (version received when purchased) to v2.5.2. The upgrade went smoothly, but now the fans are constantly running. Any suggestions? It sounds like a jet engine.

3 Posts

June 6th, 2015 14:00

Chris,

Thank you again for your assistance. After running the chipset driver and restarting the server, I attempted the iDrac update again, and it was successful this time. I also applied the lifecycle controller update.

Thank you,

Ben (bendegen)

• 

8.8K Posts

June 4th, 2015 06:00

Bendegen,

The issue you are having is normally caused by the iDrac not being updated along with the BIOS. On the T620 the fans will be controlled by the iDrac logic, so updating it should cause the fans to drop their RPM's to normal. If that doesn't then the issue maybe fan, or temperature related. Here is the link for the sole iDrac update 1.66.65, as well as the iDrac with lifecycle controller (2.10.10.10). Since the server will need to reboot, I would suggest taking advantage of the maintenance window and proceed to update the Chipset, and the raid controller ( S110, H310, H710, H710P).

Let me know how it goes, and if the fans quiet after the update.

3 Posts

June 6th, 2015 13:00

Chris,

Thank you for your assistance. I downloaded and attempted to install the iDrac update. I was running v1.23.23 and was prompted to update to v1.66.65. After the counter reached just over 13 minutes, I received the message: Device iDRAC7, Application iDRAC7 Failed to cancel firmware update process.

I'm updating the chipset as you recommended and will try to iDRAC update again. Any ideas on the error message?

Thank you,
Ben

No Events found!