Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2017 08:00

Power Supply Redundancy Settings for PowerEdge 1950 & 2950 Gen II

Hi,

I would like to adjust the power supply redundancy on my PowerEdger 1950 and 2950 Gen II servers. Currently the servers load balance the power between ps1 and ps2.

I wish to change this by passing all the power through ps1 and keep ps2 in some form of "stand-by" without load.

I am not able to use OpenManage due to constant connection errors and can access the servers physically or by using DRAC5.

Any suggestions please.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2017 08:00

You should be using a decent UPS (like a SmartUPS 1500VA or similar) to protect it against uneven/unclean power, including outages, brown outs, surges, etc.

had a bad experience from the both active ps configuration

I don't thing the x950's have firmware updates specifically for the power supplies like some of the newer ones do, but make sure your system firmware (BIOS, ESM/BMC, DRAC, etc.) is up to date.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 1st, 2017 10:00

This cannot be changed, but they should already be in an active/passive mode to provide failover, even if they are sharing the load when both are present. You pull one, the other will kick in with no downtime.

21 Posts

March 1st, 2017 12:00

What bothered me was that both ps were in active mode and wished to set one in active and one in passive mode.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 1st, 2017 13:00

Pull one and you'll see the switching ability ... sharing when both are available, but able to switch to one or the other in the event of failure. Not all servers do that - some are strictly active/passive. Arguable which is better.

21 Posts

March 1st, 2017 23:00

I concur with you that this switching ability is optimal, but had a bad experience from the both active ps configuration.

Despite surge protections, as my country has issues with power stability, we had a situation were both ps units gave in within a span of a week without allowing ample time for us to receive and replace the initial burnt out power supply.

To compensate for such, I was thinking to either have the setup corrected in passive/active configuration or else, bite the bone and pull the plug on one unit to serve as a backup ps of this old machine. The later is not my ideal scenario though.

21 Posts

March 2nd, 2017 09:00

Yes the DC is equipped with an APC1500 smart ups and the all firmware is updated. I guess there is not much that can be done ;) Thanks for your support.

WBR Fab

No Events found!