Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2014 03:00

Power edge 2950 hardware

Hi,

I've got this server and i have not updated anything on this server a long time. my OS is windows 2003 r2 32bit server. I am planning to install windows 2012 r2. what should i do first? do i need to update the hardware such bios, firmware and etc.? can you please show me the steps on how to update my PE server 2950 please? thanks in advance.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 17th, 2014 06:00

The fact that this is your domain controller is irrelevant (assuming you maintain good backups and plan your maintenance downtime appropriately).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 16th, 2014 07:00

Yes, you need to update the system firmware before installing 2012.

BIOS first, then ESM/backplane, then NIC, PERC, DRAC hardware.

You can do this from 2003 (update the PERC driver before the firmware), or you can do this using one of Dell's two tools for updating all at the same time:

SMTD/SUU - boot to SMTD, choose Firmware Update, insert SUU as repository. SUU is very large and needs to be on a DL-DVD.

Repository Manager - sync with Dell.com, choose ONLY linux bundles for this server model, then export as a bootable ISO.

54 Posts

November 16th, 2014 22:00

you mean.. update the BIOS first then ESM/Backplane, NIC, PERC, firmware and DRAC hardware. Is this correct? this box is my domain controller. 

thanks again. 

No Events found!