Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

22 Posts

December 20th, 2018 14:00

PowerEdge 1950 gen.2 or gen. 3?!

Greetings!

I want to perform CPU upgrade on stated machine with  I haven't actually bought the machine yet so I'm not sure if its Gen.2 or Gen.3 but the bios found on Dell web page lists 5400 series CPUs so can I safely assume that it is gen. 3? From what I read, Gen. 2 supports X5300 at most and doesn't support X5400.

Assuming it's a Gen.3, again, from what I read, the FSB should be 1333MHz max, and any CPU with 1600MHz FSB is not supported. Is that correct?

Also what is the maximum supported ram - documentation seems dated - some places mention 32GB and others - 64GB

Also is it possible to boot from M.2 device mounted on PCI-Express extension card, or that is only possible if my boot sector/device is located on USB/SAS/SATA device, and only OS partition is located on M.2?

Thank you!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 20th, 2018 14:00

"I haven't actually bought the machine yet so I'm not sure if its Gen.2 or Gen.3 but the bios found on Dell web page lists 5400 series CPUs so can I safely assume that it is gen. 3?"

Not a safe assumption. All revisions use the same BIOS code, the ability to use certain BIOS code resides in the motherboard.

64GB is the max RAM for II and III.

I don't believe the 2950 will boot to PCIe devices.

The Service Tag doesn't pull up the original specs, as it is an international tag. You'll need the seller to provide a picture of the top left corner of the front of the chassis (will show a small II or III ... unless it has been removed), the actual motherboard part number, or a screenshot of the revision field of the system chassis section of OpenManage.

No Events found!