Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2016 16:00

PowerEdge 2950 V3 Graphics Card and DRAC?

Hello, I have recently been given two Dell PowerEdge 2950 V3 servers from my college and need a question answered about whether I can have a graphics card in along with the DRAC. I know the normal convention is no, there are compatibility problems but I am not looking to be using the graphics card for viewing on monitors. I want to stick a Nvidia Quadro K4200 in them solely for the purpose of using the CUDA cores to crunch data for Folding@Home. I intend on using the DRAC and integrated graphics for managing the server but just want extra computing power besides the 2 Xeons. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

SgtKilgore406 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 30th, 2016 19:00

Just about 100% sure it won't work. I don't believe the slots will be able to power it, and there is no auxiliary power in the server. I don't believe there are x16 slots in a 2950 either, so you'd have to mod the card, which just seems like a waste to me.

However, there are a couple of modders on the site that may have some additional feedback.

September 30th, 2016 19:00

Ok, definitely fair enough. What I was thinking was to remove the risers which would allow me to use the x16 slots on the motherboard itself and just use a ribbon cable riser to connect the card. In terms of aux power I know there is a molex at the front top which I am thinking about using an extension to run it back to the card and provide power. Those I am not exactly worried about. The problem is both of the servers I got did not come with a DRAC and therefore I have not been able to experiment with it at all.

I have read on different sites that people have put a card in while leaving the DRAC installed and having Windows detect the card but not having any video out from said card (not a problem for me). I know Windows will probably see the card, what I do not know is if I could install the drivers to enable CUDA and then use the CUDA with F@H while using the DRAC and integrated graphics to control the server.

I know this is a really funny question and I have noticed that no one has seemed to ask this particular one which makes it even harder to know without buying the hardware and doing trial and error.

Thanks,

SgtKilgore406

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 1st, 2016 21:00

Risers are required for POST ... although the risers use an x16 slot, they are not typical PCIe slots - the system is expecting the risers. 

October 1st, 2016 22:00

Ok, that does make sense. I guess I can do the mod on the risers by removing the end on the PCIe x8 slot instead. Given that those risers are pennies compared to graphics cards on eBay then I would rather risk damaging it vs the graphics card. 

No Events found!