Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2017 19:00

PowerEdge R210 II Fans Unnecessarily Fast

Hello! I recently purchased a used R210 II off eBay (16 GB RAM with a E3-1240 v2). Upon booting it up, all three fans spin incredibly fast making the system as a whole really loud, and the fans wouldn't quiet down at all. After getting a copy of Windows 10 Pro on (thrown on so I could fix the fans), SpeedFan was reporting them running at upwards of 13k RPM even at idle CPU in a cool and open room.

I've tried updating the BIOS and iDRAC to the latest versions availible for it and using software (like SpeedFan) to manipulate fan speeds, but nothing seems to be working. There was a thread previously about this in 2010, but the conclusion was to try updating everything which I've already tried.

Am I missing something, or is there a way I can get this fixed? I have a good feeling even 1U servers should have fans going this crazy. Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 26th, 2017 06:00

What if you only put one stick of RAM in? Remove any PCIe cards. Does the hardware log show a chassis error? Some here concluded that the chassis switch was broken, and it is normal for the fans to ramp up when the chassis is open.

January 26th, 2017 15:00

I have tried one stick of RAM and removing the PCIe card that was in there (the SATA controller) and nothing seems to have been fixed. I've also gotten no errors whatsoever when booting, everything loads up normally.z

No Events found!