RobC-UK
1 Copper

PowerEdge R220 II - Max hard disk size?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm looking to get a couple more years out of the R220 II we have.  Hard disk technology has moved on since 2014 and thus I was wondering how big a hard disk I can install into the server.  The documentation says 6Tb but I suspect that was when 3Tb disks were still new.  Ideally I'd like to install a couple of 6Tb 3.5" SATA drives.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Rob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

RE: PowerEdge R220 II - Max hard disk size?

Jump to solution

RobC-UK,

I do see that the R220 server does support 6TB drives, such as part number PYM8J, but that is a SAS drive. The largest SATA I see listed is a 4TB, part number GCHH1. That doesn't mean that there aren't any 6TB SATAs  that will work, just that I don't see them listed. 

Let me know if this helps.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

RobC-UK,

I do see that the R220 server does support 6TB drives, such as part number PYM8J, but that is a SAS drive. The largest SATA I see listed is a 4TB, part number GCHH1. That doesn't mean that there aren't any 6TB SATAs  that will work, just that I don't see them listed. 

Let me know if this helps.

Chris Hawk

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
RobC-UK
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Chris,

Great, thanks for finding that out for me and the part numbers (I couldn't see anything listed on in the support section on the Dell site for this server).

Much appreciated!

Rob

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I apologize you can find the 6TB drive here

Chris Hawk