Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2012 12:00

PowerEdge R320 - Multiple monitors....

Hi guys,

first of all sorry for my bad english, I will try to do my best.

I need to buy a R320 but I need somehow to attach 6 monitors to that server.... I was thinking to add 2 nvidia cards the NVS 420, can somebody tell me if this is doable. I know that an option will be a workstation, but I work with many virtual boxes and I would  like to have a r320.... Another option will be 6 usb video cards... 

help me to find a way to work with this new toy.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 12th, 2012 14:00

Hello supermailul

As you are probably aware we do not support add-on audio or video cards on our servers, so I don't have any recommendations of specific cards that may work. You may be able to get the NVS 420 to work in PCIe slot 2, but I show that it is an x16 card and PCIe slot 1 is an x8 connector. If that is the case then it will not fit in slot 2, so you won't be able to put two of them in the server.

Here is the slot information:

PCIe Slot 1: PCIe x8 connector with x4 bandwidth; half length/half height 
PCIe Slot 2: PCIe x16 connector with x16 bandwidth; half length/full height

I hope that helps

Thanks

October 12th, 2012 17:00

can i install 2 x PNY VCQ420NVS-X1-DVI-PB

• 

6.2K Posts

October 12th, 2012 18:00

found the solution Matrox M9188 PCIe x16

Just make sure you will be able to return it or use it in another machine if it does not work. It will fit in slot 2, but I can't say for sure it will work.

Thanks

found the solution Matrox M9188 PCIe x16

• 

6.2K Posts

can i install 2 x PNY VCQ420NVS-X1-DVI-PB

Yes, I show that is an x1 card that should work in either of the PCIe slots. I don't see a reason it would not work.

or Matrox M9188?

No, all searches of that model show that it is an x16 card. That would only work in slot 2, not slot 1.

Thanks

or Matrox M9188?

October 13th, 2012 07:00

ok, give me a reason that this video card won't work in the r320 server... I will use it with windows 2008 server, the graphic card is supported by the operation system, what other problems might appear

9.3K Posts

October 15th, 2012 10:00

To use an expansion card the bios needs to be able to give the right resources (memory and such) to the card. Some higher end cards like raid controllers, HBAs and multi-port NICs require more resources then your typical home-user type cards. The bios on servers often reserve these resources for raid controllers, HBAs and/or NIC cards and won't allow other types of cards to take these resources. On some Dell's newer servers they offer videocards (for virtualization) and GPGPU cards for number crunching, so hopefully their servers will now be a bit more flexible in regards to supporting videocards. The only thing you still need to pay attention to is power consumption. PCIe slots may not provide enough power for certain cards, so check what the server's PCIe slot can deliver (e.g. 25W), and what the videocard requires (if it's more than 25W it may not work and the server may not have a powercable to provide the card the needed power externally).

No Events found!