Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2013 02:00

PowerEdge R420 - Integrated Perc H310 Raid not finding drives

hello,

i've bought a mini H310 for my poweredge R420 but i'm not able to configure the array because there aren't physical disk viewed by the controller.

There are 4 cabled SATA discs .. The doubt is that the H310 will not works with cabled drives and perhaps is necessary a backplane?

Thank you for helping

• 

8.4K Posts

October 10th, 2013 07:00

Just reviewed what we discussed earlier. YOu stated that you had it connected to the SATA port on the motherboard. With the mini you will need to move that cable to SAS A over near where the mini card was connected. You will see SAS A silkscreened next to the port. SWitch the cable to there and check if the drives are visible.

9 Posts

October 10th, 2013 08:00

Dear Chris,

Thank you. problem solved !!!

YOU ARE SIMPLY THE BEST!!!!!!

• 

8.4K Posts

October 9th, 2013 06:00

Cyhepalle,

The R420 DOES support the use of cabled hard drives. Did you get the controller and cable from us? If so what are the part numbers you have and I can verify they are compatible?

Lastly, where are you looking for the drives? If you are in the controller, what page are you on? Physical Disk Mgmt?

Let me know.

9 Posts

October 9th, 2013 07:00

yes Chris i've bought directly from Dell. the R420 service tag is { {Tag removed by Moderator}}

After few months i've bought, even from Dell, the H310 mini with part Number 0K09CJ

i don't find any physical disk in controller (CTRL+R) management and same think from inside the bios (device settings - H310).

Italian pro-support says me that the R420 does not support cabled data drives and that is necessary a different chassis with backplane!!

Please help :--((

9 Posts

No there aren't

• 

8.4K Posts

From within the CTRL-R Perc BIOS hit CTRL-N from the main screen, that takes you to the Physical Disks Mgmt page. Are they listed there?

9 Posts

October 9th, 2013 10:00

what i can do?

• 

8.4K Posts

October 9th, 2013 11:00

OK, where do you have the hard drive cable connected to, which port. Also, could you confirm that the mini controller is fully seated, as this is an issue with them when not firmly seated.

Two audible "click" sound will produce when the mini PERC is fully installed.

9 Posts

October 9th, 2013 12:00

The 4 hard drives are connected with a single plug ti the SATA A-D port on the mother board.

yes the mini H310 si firmly connected. Please note that i've 2 identical r420 and 2 H310 with the same problem.

could be an incompatibility with the Embedded S110 raid software?

685 Posts

October 9th, 2013 21:00

Cyhepalle, 

The R420 supports using the following RAID Controllers S110, H310, H710, H710P, H810. One thing I would recommend you try is to go into the System Bios and go to the SATA settings and see what mode it is currently set as. If it is in AHCI try changing it to RAID mode. Below is a link to the owner's manual and on page 26 it talks about the SATA settings.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r420_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

I hope this helps and let us know how that goes.

9 Posts

October 10th, 2013 01:00

I've tried to change all possible options: ata, ahci, raid and off... But no disk drives are found. I think that if the system was originally equipped with the S110 sw raid is not possible to upgrade to an hardware raid.

this is absurd for me but it is the only  remained possibility!

possible that i'm the first customer with this issue?

• 

8.4K Posts

Glad to help, sorry I didn't catch that earlier in the discussion. Good luck and keep the community in mind if you have any other questions or concerns.

9 Posts

Dear Chris,

many ,many thanks. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

You are the best!!!

1 Message

September 14th, 2015 11:00

I just received an H310 card from Dell to upgrade my R220.  But it didn't include any cables to connect the drives to the card.  Can you send me the part number I need to order?

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 06:00

i am using a Dell T410 that i have followed all the directions that i have seen in this forum and still cant get the drives to show up. What am i missing? 

No Events found!