Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2018 09:00

PowerEdge R430 - cooling fan

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the minimum number of cooling fans my server should have.

my server is PowerEdge R430. my question is when do I need only one cooling fan and when do I need the six fans to be installed?

Regards,

Sameh

• 

6.2K Posts

April 17th, 2018 10:00

Fan 1 must be installed if you have a redundant configuration. If you are only using 1 PSU in a redundant configuration you still need fan 1. If your PSU(s) have orange release levers, indicating they are hot-swap, you need fan 1.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 16th, 2018 16:00

Hello

I only show that two of the fans are optional. Fan1 is required if you have redundant PSU's. Fan6 is required if your have two CPUs installed. I don't show any other fans as optional. If all required fans are not installed the system may overheat. The iDRAC may preemptively shut down the system if fans are missing or not functional.

Thanks

April 17th, 2018 01:00

Hello Daniel,

Many thanks for your support.

Does this mean I should have 4 cooling fans if I only have 1 processor and 1 power supply installed?

Regards,

Sameh

April 18th, 2018 01:00

Hello Daniel,

This makes an absolute sense. Many thanks for your time and support.

Regards,

Sameh

3 Posts

June 7th, 2021 15:00

Digging up old threads but it doesn't quite answer my question.

I currently have 4 fans.  I currently have 1 CPU.  I currently do not have a hot swap PSU.

I understand I don't need fan 1 because it's not hot swap.

I have 4 fans, and  this other area has a "blank"  in line with CPU 2. (not spot 1)  if I add a 2nd CPU should I add a 5th fan in my scenario.

• 

3.6K Posts

June 7th, 2021 17:00

Hi, thanks for choosing Dell.

Adding one more CPU means adding another fan. The "blank" needs to go. Could you please refer to the attached screenshot and the link below as well?

non-redundant power supply unit (PSU) configuration.-> Max 4 fans

Hope this helps and have a great one!

1 Attachment

No Events found!