Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2016 23:00

PowerEdge R720xd outputs an average noise

Hi There,

I've posted this thread earlier about a disk failure in my server. And now I'm waiting for the replacement disk by Dell. However, I haven't shutdown or restarted the server till there was a power cut yesterday. In the meantime, server never had such a noise earlier as it was running smoothly.

After the power cut yesterday, I have shutdown the server to make sure it get a proper power off, then switched on the server later when the power was up. I can make sure I didn't do any changes except for the disk failure. Once the server was boot up, it started to produce the loudest noise it could ever do. So, I have done another restart just to make sure that I don't miss anything. However, it started the same noise but it was average not the loudest as before.

So, I'm assuming this is because of the disk failure and the hardware or the RAID is trying to rebuild/find the failed disk... I'm not sure just assuming.. Any advise will be great. 

• 

6.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2016 16:00

Hello

The system will have varying levels of acoustic output based on utilization. If the system is at idle it will be very quiet, but if the system is being highly utilized it will put out much more heat and cause the fans to run at much higher RPM.

If this is a parity array then a rebuild will cause the controller to perform many calculations above normal operations. It will also cause all of the drives in the array to put off more heat while the controller reads from each of them.

If the fans continue at high RPM after the rebuild is complete then I would suggest reviewing the thermals throughout the system.

Thanks

16 Posts

April 4th, 2016 01:00

Hi Daniel,

I assumed so. Let me wait for few more days as I'm getting the replacement disk from DELL. Once I have replaced and once the RAID is built, will see the fan check once again.

Currently all 6 - 7 fans are running at 9100 RPM average and will it be a problem if this continues to run so? maybe for a week or two until I replace and rebuild the array??

16 Posts

April 10th, 2016 12:00

Hi Daniel,

It was due to the degraded RAID array I assume. I have received the replacement disk today and have added it to the server which started its rebuild. Once after the reboot, rebuilt was all okay and the RAID returned to its normal state while fan RPMs have dramatically gone down to 6k from 9k.

Seems like that the server was detecting RAID failure as some sort of an external failure or something else. However, things went back to being normal now.

Thank for the help!

No Events found!